Dry Start Method for Monte Carlo? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Start Method for Monte Carlo?

Will be setting up a 6.3 gallon rimless aquarium (24 x 6.7" x 9.4"), I will be running CO2. I am aiming for a carpet of monte carlo. I am unsure if I should go with the DSM or just plant and fill.

What would you all recommend? I know DSM helps the rooting process, but I am worried once I fill the monte carlo will all melt.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:22 AM
Planted Member

What kind of monte carlo will you be using? Was it grown emersed or submerged, and is it a tissue culture or in a pot?

I just finished my 6-week dry start for a monte carlo carpet but I am going low tech, so no CO2. I was incredibly worried that my monte carlo would all melt like crazy, but surprisingly it didn't! Some did, of course, but most of it is fine and I'm almost two weeks in since I filled. And monte carlo is relatively easy to grow, and if you have CO2 then I would say you have an ever better chance of success!

If you are concerned about the rooting process, then I would say 2 weeks for a dry start is plenty for roots to start establishing in the substrate. Otherwise, you can just fill and go for it The next thing you might consider is whether you want a full, finished carpet to start up your tank or you would rather start the tank as soon as possible and wait for the carpet to grow in over time.

I've heard that monte carlo grows at pretty much the same rate during a dry start as it does submerged with CO2, so I think it's mostly whether you want to save or expend the CO2 for a month or so while your carpet grows in?

And this is a very unverifiable hunch (lol), but I've read a bunch posts about monte carlo/dsm and the transition and I inadvertently noticed that tissue culture monte carlo seems to fare slightly better in the "transition" from dsm to filled than other types of monte carlo. I have no idea why, and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so idk if it's true or not...but I also used tissue culture monte carlo and my transition went relatively well (so far). So that's just something possible to consider if you do decide to go with the dsm!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterblossom View Post
What kind of monte carlo will you be using? Was it grown emersed or submerged, and is it a tissue culture or in a pot?

I just finished my 6-week dry start for a monte carlo carpet but I am going low tech, so no CO2. I was incredibly worried that my monte carlo would all melt like crazy, but surprisingly it didn't! Some did, of course, but most of it is fine and I'm almost two weeks in since I filled. And monte carlo is relatively easy to grow, and if you have CO2 then I would say you have an ever better chance of success!

If you are concerned about the rooting process, then I would say 2 weeks for a dry start is plenty for roots to start establishing in the substrate. Otherwise, you can just fill and go for it The next thing you might consider is whether you want a full, finished carpet to start up your tank or you would rather start the tank as soon as possible and wait for the carpet to grow in over time.

I've heard that monte carlo grows at pretty much the same rate during a dry start as it does submerged with CO2, so I think it's mostly whether you want to save or expend the CO2 for a month or so while your carpet grows in?

And this is a very unverifiable hunch (lol), but I've read a bunch posts about monte carlo/dsm and the transition and I inadvertently noticed that tissue culture monte carlo seems to fare slightly better in the "transition" from dsm to filled than other types of monte carlo. I have no idea why, and I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so idk if it's true or not...but I also used tissue culture monte carlo and my transition went relatively well (so far). So that's just something possible to consider if you do decide to go with the dsm!
Thank you so much for your response! It was very helpful. I am unsure what type of monte carlo I am going to buy, I was thinking if it is submerged I will just fill the tank since it was already in water and if it was the tissue culture I would just do the DSM. I guess either one will do! Thanks again.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like dsm for mosses. But if you run a co2 enriched tank there is no point IMO to do a dry start (for plants)... Maybe if you have an insane slope and want good root structure.. I did dry start on my first tank and growth was much faster once submerged with co2 and ferts. Also the possible risk of massive melting. Not worth IMO!

When I dry start my tank with mosses I plant plants like MC before flooding.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

Sounds like a great idea! Good luck on your monte carlo carpet!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Algae Grower

DSM works. It can save you a lot of trouble in having the algae and plant war when the tank is cycling. Just keep a close look at it, because you can grow cyanobacteria due to the lack of oxygen exchange in the DSM. It rarely happens, but it can since it is cyanobacteria after all.

I did the dry start method twice in my whole experience in fish keeping and I found a lot of factors in its success and failure and when to do it and when not to do it.

In your case it's a small tank and yes i'd go for DSM. If your monte carlo show signs of melting or deficiencies, fill it up with water right away.

If it was me, i'd fill it up with water from the start and start dosing it with ferts after the 1st water change.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you to everyone for their input. The problem is I wont be getting my CO2 system until the beginning of September, and I currently have 2 cups of monte carlo that i bought submerged. They are in a bucket with my finnex light on them. Im not sure if I should put them into the tank and do DSM while I wait out the month or keep them in the water with no CO2.

Bump: Thank you to everyone for their input. The problem is I wont be getting my CO2 system until the beginning of September, and I currently have 2 cups of monte carlo that i bought submerged. They are in a bucket with my finnex light on them. Im not sure if I should put them into the tank and do DSM while I wait out the month or keep them in the water with no CO2.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did a dry start once with Monte Carlo and have also grown it submerged. Honestly if you’re using co2 and good lights paired with a good amount of plants to start with. I think the dry start better benefits people who start out with a small amount to avoids algae blooms.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode