Can the light I bought be too bright for the live plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can the light I bought be too bright for the live plants?

I'm wondering about my 3 gallon nano tank. Three light that came with the tank was crap so I bought a new one. It's a few centimeters too big, but it's bright as heck!! Half the time my betta boy Frankie hides under the plants because I know he's bothered by the light because he didn't start hiding until after I bought it. The plants I bought are hardy! And I can't believe the one that's dying is the Anubis! It's slowly turning yellow. But the roots are growing great! I have Fluval substrate, Stratum. I leave the light on same as all the others, about ten hours every day, maybe twelve. It's perfect for the other tanks but this light is bright and I'm wondering if it could be killing the plants to have such bright light. Today I cut the light early to see if there's any improvement in a few days, but if that's not it, I don't want to restrict the light of the plants need it. Ugh. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (149/100%)
Sorry to hear your troubles with the new light fixture.

Hmm what brand is the lighting you are using and the wattages? Do you inject any co2 into the nano tank? Do you dose fertilizers for the tank by any chance? Is it low tech or a high tech tank or somewhere in-between? Anubia plants generally like some lower light shady conditions I believe, so try putting it in more dimmer areas of the tank so the leaves don't get algae'd up. The leaves yellowing could be because it's just adjusting or fert deficiency like nitrates.. once established it should grow back new leaves pretty well and easily. When did you get the anubias plant?

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

It could be the lights that are killing your anubias or maybe they are new. It could also be a lack of nutrients. However, yes if your light is too bright it can kill off plants. The energy they get is too much for them to handle and thus killing them off slowly. It's also a small tank so i'd cut down the lighting hours to 5 to 6 hours. The light is also too much for the betta. I'd just go buy lights from a hardware store or anywhere where you can get them cheap since you don't need much light for bettas and anubias, and a small tank as well.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience"

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:27 PM

I ran into a similar problem with my 3 gallon tank. Im using a Finnex Planted + LED as my light source. As long as it's not a nutrient issue, you might consider raising the light fixture above the tank. Another option, which I also use, is to buy some screening from a hardware store. Metal screening is better since it won't melt. My light sits 10 inches from the water, and I placed 2 pieces of screen under the light cover. Its been succesful for me.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode