20g long countertop tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Koenig44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g long countertop tank

What a whirlwind this 'tank' has been. Either way, I'm FINALLY happy to see it starting to come to fruition.

I originally started with a 20g high, co2 tank in 2015. I have a really good set up in a finished basement that has a countertop and cabinets underneath to house a canister filter, wires, etc. I bought everything for it, and then was laid off. So, the tank (without fish or plants) was filled with water, and substrate for six months.

Got another job, and picked up a co2, lights, and everything else I needed. I was able to get the co2 up and running....but the co2 would fade in and out. Could never get it to consistently stay on. I made numerous phone calls to LFSs, did tons of trouble shooting online, took my regulator into an LFS to check out....to ensure that it was working properly, had a co2 drop in my car and spray co2 everywhere on the way home from getting it at the LFS, etc. The list goes on. My tubing was blue that connected to the diffuser. Someone suggested to me to change the tubing out to clear, just to make sure nothing was clogging the tubing. That still didn't work. I went to an LFS, and took pics of their co2 set up, how they connected their Bubble Counter, etc. I went home, tried to replicate the pics, and still NOTHING.....sigh.

Unfortunately, the tank just sat in my basement, I would just continue to clean the algae off the diffuser, off the glass, and do weekly water changes. I felt bad for the fish. I was almost at times ashamed to go in my basement to look at the tank. I just was at wits end, and didn't care about it....but deeply wanted to. Not to mention, I have two young kids, so I was busy, and didn't want to spend time with it anymore. The fish all died off, unfortunately.

Flash forward, and I decided enough was enough. I emptied out what was left of the 20g high, saved the Eco Complete, and threw the tank away. Sure enough, this January, Pet Smart had their $1 per gallon sale. Picked up a 20g long, and started from scratch...but would be doing everything the right way. Painted the back of the tank, cycled it with my old Eco Complete, and went from there. I have a connecting storage room super close to the cabinets that I could set up a QT, and any other supplies for that. I had a 10g used tank on hand, so it made it even easier. So, I cycled that. Took 9 weeks to cycle a 10g tank! However, I was teaching my kids about it, and let them help test the water each week, so that helped pass the time.

I wanted to have someone come to my house to show me how to set up a co2 properly. I was DONE trying to figure it out on my own. I called a couple of LFS. One in my nearby area services saltwater, and not freshwater...weird! I called another one that actually does service any kind of aquarium. They put me on the list to come to my house...waited a month, and didn't hear anything. Called again, they forgot, and didn't hear anything again.....finally found another place that was fairly new in the area. They were very good about answering questions via e-mail, and scheduling a day and time.

I know we all go through 'trials and tribulations' of this hobby. So, this is my story.

TODAY WAS THE DAY. Here's my tank. It's like Christmas, as you all know.....just the sight of a new tank up and running....co2 working properly....everything is good. Just waiting for my fish in QT to finish out the 2 week QT process.

TADA! Wheh...lol.

All of my equipment is in my signature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4866.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	866169  

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

Nice substrate and wood piece. I love 20gl long tanks. They have a great surface area ratio.

What fish are you planning on stocking? And I'm assuming more plants?
I've never gotten into CO2 because I have zero technical skills...There are also no good LFS here, so calling someone out isn't an option. :/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
Nice substrate and wood piece. I love 20gl long tanks. They have a great surface area ratio.

What fish are you planning on stocking? And I'm assuming more plants?
I've never gotten into CO2 because I have zero technical skills...There are also no good LFS here, so calling someone out isn't an option. :/
Male Lyretail Guppies, Rummynose Tetras, Male Endler's Liverbearer's, Red Lipstick Goby, Red Neon Blue Eyed Rainbowfish

Yes, more plants.

I don't blame you. I read a lot about how easy CO2 is to do.....it really isn't. There's A LOT of things you need to do, to make it work. It reminds me of maintaining a reef tank.

20G long / Finnex Planted + / Marineland C-160 / Tunze Regulator / Fluval Bubble Counter / Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater / Koralia 240 / Rhinox Drop Checker

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pressurized CO2 has been easy in my experience. The hardest thing has been finding someone to refill the canister -- very few paintball refills in my local area.

This looks like a great start. If you don't mind my asking, I see a water pump in the upper left corner. What model is it? I've considered getting one for my heavily planted 20-long, but I'm afraid of the fish getting blown around by even the smallest of them.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 08:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post
Male Lyretail Guppies, Rummynose Tetras, Male Endler's Liverbearer's, Red Lipstick Goby, Red Neon Blue Eyed Rainbowfish

Yes, more plants.

I don't blame you. I read a lot about how easy CO2 is to do.....it really isn't. There's A LOT of things you need to do, to make it work. It reminds me of maintaining a reef tank.

Nice stocking list! I'll have to check out the rainbows you listed. I used to keep a group of neon blue dwarf rainbows (praecox) and loved them.

Yeah, with regards to CO2, I'd rather just be safe than sorry. Until I have a good LFS or someone to go watch do a setup, it just makes me too nervous to try on my own.

Congrats again on your setup and I look forward to seeing the progress of your plants.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did you ever find out what Was wrong with your co2 rig?

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
Did you ever find out what Was wrong with your co2 rig?
When I went to the LFS to take pics of their CO2, and mimic on my setup, they had 2 Check Valves on their tubing. They said they use two as a double CYA.

So, I put two on mine. Come to find out, removing one of them, allowed my CO2 to flow consistently. The problem was, was that one of my Check Valves was so high up on my tubing, and in an area right in the middle of the hole I drilled on the countertop, that it was hard to see.

So, it was kinda my fault, kinda not.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig44 View Post
When I went to the LFS to take pics of their CO2, and mimic on my setup, they had 2 Check Valves on their tubing. They said they use two as a double CYA.

So, I put two on mine. Come to find out, removing one of them, allowed my CO2 to flow consistently. The problem was, was that one of my Check Valves was so high up on my tubing, and in an area right in the middle of the hole I drilled on the countertop, that it was hard to see.

So, it was kinda my fault, kinda not.
Awesome! Glad you got that worked out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My tank journal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode