Invert deaths - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Invert deaths

I canít seem to keep any inverts alive in one tank. I had one shrimp that lasted a week. The snails die within a day. I tested for copper thereís nothing. The tank is newish but all the tests for ammonia keep coming up with nothing. I do have some plants in there that didnít do well. Could they be causing spikes that are killing them? I have fish in there that seem to be doing ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

How old is your tank? Have you tested for Nitrites and Nitrates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AquaMaxx Cuboid 9.1 + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba XB-303
ADA Mini M + ONF Flat Nano + Shiruba PF-120 HOB
UNS 3N + Chihiros RGB+ Azoo Mignon 60 HOB
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Itís about about 2 months now. I use test strips and thereís nothing showing up for any of it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

In my experience the test strips tend to be not very accurate, giving a ballpark reading. They are also quite pricey. I used to use them as well and could not get an accurate read on parameter levels. Invest in the API freshwater master test kit. @ ~ $25.00-$30.00 its a little more expensive purchase outright but will save you money in the long run and gives much more precise results. Sorry to hear about your inverts, always sad when a creature dies.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have compared test strips to other test kit and or made test solutions to test the strips for accurate. In my experience they are just as accurate as any other test kit. This means your ability to follow instructions and distinguish differences in color is more important than anything else. The only test strip I would not recommend are ammonia test strips. Ammonia test strips change color rapidly when ammonia is present. However when ammonia is not present they still will change color slowly. So if you wait too long the ammonia strips will indicate ammonia when non is present.

What can you tell us about your water is it RO, distilled, or tap. Also what is the hardness. You might as well list the numbers you get for all or the tests you have done. Also If you are using Tap water can you provide a link to the water quality report from your tap water utility? It might be helpful. Are you doing weekly water changes and how much water are you replacing during the change. Also list please list the brand names of everything you put into your tank. Photos of your plants may also help.

If your plants are not doing we'll we could be looking at a nutrient deficiency very soft or overly hard water can be bad. Having an imbalance of sodium to potassium can also be bad.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I havenít done a water change yet since the fish were only added about a week ago

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use tap water with a dechlorinator. Iíve only had to top off once.

No idea where to get a water quality report from.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Invert deaths

Substrate fluval plant/shrimp stratum
Tahitian moonsand
Some crushed coral mixed in

I have seachem purigen and polyfilter I just recently added after the deaths. It was just 4 carbon filters in the back.

The hornwort all died and the sword isnít doing well. The water sprite in the back seems to be starting to brown.

I added flourish tabs recently to the substrate to try to help with nutrients about the same time I added the polyfilter
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:42 AM
Algae Grower

Highly recommend gh/kh test kit too. Like 10 bucks online or any store. Water hardness is quite important for invertebrates.

If your plants are dying as well as your shrimp, it sounds like you have more problems.than just hardness though if you ask me.

Definitely recommend the master test kit and GH/kh test kit so you can test everything precisely and report back to everyone

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Based on the picture your tank readings are NO3 0, nitrite 0, GH75, Cl 0, KH 0, PH 7.2 (all readings PPM). Note camera can shift the colors a little but I don't think that is significant. Also note the tetra stripe in the picture does not check for ammonia. you should purchase a liquid ammonia test kit.

What was the copper reading and what was the ammonia reading? You don't have to post a picture of the test The numbers will work. Also could you test your untreated tap water with a strip and post the numbers for that.

I know you said everything was OK but to be honest we have head that before only to find later the actual reading was high You don't have to post a picture of the test The numbers will work.

Quote:
I use tap water with a dechlorinator. I’ve only had to top off once.

No idea where to get a water quality report from.
Go to google.com and type in "Water Quality report" followed by the city / county and name of the water utility. In the US most cities post this on the web. IF it is available it might provide a lot more data. Whenever possible use the purist water you can get for water top offs.

Quote:
I haven’t done a water change yet since the fish were only added about a week ago
Regardless of when you added fish, plants, snails and shrimp you should do a water change once a week. IF the fish were added a week ago when were the snails added ? Were water changes done once a week when the sails were in the tank?

Quote:
Substrate fluval plant/shrimp stratum
Tahitian moonsand
Some crushed coral mixed in

I have seachem purigen and polyfilter I just recently added after the deaths. It was just 4 carbon filters in the back.

The hornwort all died and the sword isn’t doing well. The water sprite in the back seems to be starting to brown.

I added flourish tabs recently to the substrate to try to help with nutrients about the same time I added the polyfilter
The coral will stabilize PH and the substrate probably has some mineral nutrients but those will be removed over time due to plant growth and water changes. Root tabs will help. However I don't see any fertilizer for the water column. For best results you should dose the water with fertilizer.

I am concerned that your plants have stripped the water of all nutrients it had and if you were not doing weekly water changes the plant would have quickly run out of nutrients. Also your plants may have removed all nitrogen (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and organic nitrogen from the water. The lack of a water columb fertilizer, plants dying and your low nitrogen readings would support this.

I would recommend getting a good liquid fertilizer. I would recommend Thrive (available a nilocg.com). Dose according to instructions on the bottle.

As to the snail deaths at this point the only thought I had was that the didn't have enough beneficial bacteria present to control ammonia. The lack of nutrients in the water may have also affected them. The addition of the snails my have triggered an ammonia spike that you didn't notice and then the plants may have consumed the ammonia before you tested the water for ammonia.

This is a new tank with fish in it so for now I would get the fertilizer and keep a close eye on the PH, GH, nitrate and ammonia. I would also start adding a liquid fertilizer to your water and purchase a liquid ammonia test kit. and do once weekly water changes (50%). and update this thread with your progress.
powderwt likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Invert deaths

I got the master test kit for freshwater. I ordered a gh online so a few days for that. Will be editing this post as I get results.

Ammonia is 0
Nitrate is nearly 0
Ph seems to have shot up over 7. Might be 7.4 itís a light blue
Gh from tap about 100ppm(6 drops)
Gh in tank is at 9 drops.

Last edited by uhohhotdog; 07-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added 2 nerites to my tank about 4 days ago. So far they seem to be alive though they donít seem to move around all that much. Is that normal for nerites?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Issues I'm seeing....

Tap water
Fluval Shrimp & Plant Stratum
Coral

Using tap water and coral on a buffering substrate can result in unstable water parameters, which results in stress to the inhabitants. For better results, scrap the substrate and the coral. Use something inert, such as sand or gravel (just not gravel from Petco). Find out if your tap water is "okay" for shrimp and use that, or switch to remineralized RO water.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Invert deaths

The coral was added later. After 90% of the deaths

Iím feeling like it was ammonia / nitrites was unstable from plant deaths. The fish are much more active now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode