New to the forum and trying something new. - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel.E.
  • 1 Post By ShepherdOfShrimp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the forum and trying something new.

Hello everyone,

I guess I will use this as my introductory post as well as address my initial questions. So please bare with me.

My name is Daniel and I have kept fish most of my life. I have always focused on going bigger. Bigger fish and bigger tanks. I've had cichlids and goldfish and rainbows and African leaf fish.
I have played around with planted tanks a little in recent years. I took a break for the hoby and am just now getting back in. (Except my Betta I've had the whole time) Well I decided this time instead of going big I am going to go small.

I have set up a 5 gallon nano tank. It has sand. Drift wood and some plants. I've had it set up a couple of weeks.
Right now it has guppies to help cycle the tank. Though admittedly they have been dieing off. Mainly from jumping out which seems strange to me. The tanks only has about a half inch gap around the lid.

Here is a pic of the tank.

It has filled in a little more since this pic. But it should give you a general idea of what I got going.

Now my question.
I am debating on what to stock the tank with permanently.

I have two things in mind and would like your thoughts on them as well as any suggestions or advice.

1.) Three sparkling gouramis and maybe some cherry shrimp.

2.) A small school of chili or other micro rasbora. Again with shrimp or small snail like Ramshorns.

I will also be setting up another nano tank for a single dwarf pea puffer. That will also be 5 gallon. If I have snails or extra baby shrimp they can be used to supplement the diet of the puffer.

Thank you for your time.

PS. As a side note. Do you believe a carpeting plants such as for dwarf hair grass would work in the pictured 5 Gallon tank?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
Cokeman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

Hello! I am so glad to see someone using the same tank as I am using right now for my first (and for now, only) planted tank. I have had fishes jumping out of the tank without the lid, but with it, that seems a little odd since I do know how small the gap really is. Aside from that, I really like your tank scape. I think that dwarf hair grass might work (since I hear around that they should be pretty easy to grow). My "carpet" plants are the microswords but they have slouched a bit until I started dosing with excel. Mine is a planted dirted tank with 9 neon tetras and 3 white clouds, I though more fish = more waste = more ammonia and CO2 byproduct = good for plants.
Daniel.E. likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdOfShrimp View Post
Hello! I am so glad to see someone using the same tank as I am using right now for my first (and for now, only) planted tank. I have had fishes jumping out of the tank without the lid, but with it, that seems a little odd since I do know how small the gap really is. Aside from that, I really like your tank scape. I think that dwarf hair grass might work (since I hear around that they should be pretty easy to grow). My "carpet" plants are the microswords but they have slouched a bit until I started dosing with excel. Mine is a planted dirted tank with 9 neon tetras and 3 white clouds, I though more fish = more waste = more ammonia and CO2 byproduct = good for plants.
Just remember at night plants also use oxygen at night.
Yeah I think these tanks are really neat. A little lacking on filtration but for a calm water fish and a planted scape I think that they will work nice I also like how in the back section it has room to place the small aquarium heater without having to place it in the main tank.
My only complaint was to get the light part to actually lay flat I had to use a small piece of cardboard under the end of the clip to pull it down.
I'm planning on getting the other PetSmart Top Fin glass 5 gallon aquarium for the puffer. It's got a slightly smaller footprint and a little taller. But for a single Puffer I think it would work great. Also like how it has the small waterfall like feature which I think would work nice on the bedside table where I'm going to place it.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode