Aquarium water RO water and tap water! - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Edward
  • 6 Post By Maryland Guppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium water RO water and tap water!

Helo guys! i need help with the water for my aquarium, i m quitw new to this hobby i started about a month and half ago.
my question is, is it normal that the RO water that i keep in a plastic container to mix with my tap water and to dechlorinate (ratio 4 RO :1 Tapwater) increase it's ph from 7 the first day to 8ph only 2 days later? is the container maybe contaminating the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Should not. Actually pure water exposed to atmosphere should be acidic, (because of the carbonic acid from the CO2 in the atmosphere). That being said RO has little buffering capability (both ways) so the contamination may be minimal.

Do you have a conductivity/TDS meter?

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Knowing RO water pH has no useful benefit, it can be ignored because the tap water will determine the final pH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Edward; 06-24-2018 at 01:57 PM. Reason: .

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:54 PM
Planted Member

Ant...

I found the RO water I planned to use to top off my fish tanks was acidic. I didn't check other brands, but could they be more alkaline? This may be your situation. I went with distilled water instead and the pH in my tanks is 7.2, very near neutral.

M

"The fish keeping hobby is very simple. Just change out a lot of water, a lot of the time!"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My R/O water settles in around 7 after sitting in my storage tank for a day or so. I have seen distilled water have a pH of 5.5-6 right after breaking the seal and testing it. This is the result of carbonic acid building up due to lack of O2 in it's sealed container.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiTankGuy View Post

I found the RO water I planned to use to top off my fish tanks was acidic.
For S&G I just checked my 50 gallons of RODI that I ran yesterday.
pH is reading 5.86 but I would not consider this acidic, more bogus than anything.
It has 0 TDS, 0 conductivity, 0 GH, and 0 KH.
With "zero" buffering capacity the pH would swing toward your tank's pH levels when topping off.
This would make it ideal for topping off, not adding anything and avoiding any accumulation.
Edward, Edward, MCFC and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

wow guys thanks for the many replies, my tap water when it comes out of faucet used to be 7 or 7.5 after i installed a system which uses marine salt to make tap water cleaner it became 6.5 or 7, but after a day or 2 the ph always get's up to 7.5 or maybe 8, i m using the droplets to determine my ph but the tester uses colors too similar among them so i can't really tell the 0.5ph difference. can anyone help me how to solve this? my rcs are dropping their berries and are dying except for some half blue/half wild types, and 2 of my otociclus died too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

sorry for the double post i dont know how to edit my previous post, i wanted to let you guys know thay my tap water gh is about 32gh and the gh of the RO's water i buy is about 4, and i mix them together at the ratio of 4 to 1 for RO water
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's not really R/O water. GH should be 0.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

RO water has no buffering in it at all. So a tiny bit of something acidic will make it acidic and and vis versa. I wouldn't worry about it until after you've mixed it up ready to go in the tank.

As madcrafted said though, your RO water should have a GH and KH of zero. To do mean the TDS is 4?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto Hu View Post
... my tap water gh is about 32gh and the gh of the RO's water i buy is about 4, and i mix them together at the ratio of 4 to 1 for RO water
The usual RO membrane rejection rate is 90 +/- 5 %. So when your tap has 32 dGH then the RO product can have 1.6 to 4.8 dGH, thatís normal. In your situation I would use 100% RO.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Is this RO or RODI?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode