Cleanup crew possible in a 3 gallon with a puffer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Cleanup crew possible in a 3 gallon with a puffer?

Picked up a 3 gallon (roughly) for my Mom on her birthday as she was enamored by my dwarf puffers. Nice little cube has a little HOB and pretty well planted to boot. Grabbed the Finnex Fugeray Planted+ as she wanted to grow "pretty plants" and quickly found out that was overkill... lol

The easiest solution would be snails for the glass, but I can't do those due to the puffer. Is there a type of glass cleaning snail they will leave alone by chance?

I have a half-dozen now in various tanks, and they have actually never eaten or picked on another fish oddly enough, but that tank is too small for another fish. I had considered a few shrimp as they don't eat those either, but ghosts are all I can easily get and they die in a week or less naturally. They also tend to steal the food from the puffers and carry it off.

The other alternative would be to swap out lights, I'm not sure what would work and not be overkill for a small tank like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would a full-grown Nerite be large enough to survive a little bullying by the puffers? That's the only thing I can really think of in a tank that small. You could try a 72-hour blackout and then perform a bit of manual cleaning. Should take care of the vast majority of algae and then reducing your photoperiod/raising the light should help control growth in the future.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe, there's just one puffer. Shrimp would be preferable, but I can' find any amano's locally. I know they leave those alone as they didn't touch the ghosts I had.

Have never heard of doing a blackout period, but will try that. Just no light at all for 3 days then pick it off? Rocks are the worst of it at the moment actually.

Right now, I've picked the worst plants out and put them in a bucket with some Excel which worked fairly well. Didn't want to try and double dose the tank for control as it's so small and the measurements are funky.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah, no lights and covered if necessary, then just brush off the dead/dying algae and do a water change. Should help things quite a bit with no additional livestock.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Planted Member

In my experience snails and puffers are a no go. I have 2 in a 10 gallon who have never so much as sniffed a shrimp destroy any snail I put in there. One thing I've never tried is a horned nerite. They hardly stick their heads out so they may fair better. Though, I'd fully expect a puffer to mercilessly harass the snail until it was dead.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

covered?

Assume nobody recommend using excel to treat them? Used to be the "in" thing but I never tried it.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
Though, I'd fully expect a puffer to mercilessly harass the snail until it was dead.
Yeah, it's tempting if there's one that keeps his head down. When my puffers were smaller, they actually wouldn't touch larger pond snails. I had one that would bite the antennae off, but that's all he could get. Eventually left it alone.

This particular puffer has only seen snails once in his life as a treat, but it's probably not worth it. I had a little of stone catfish (I think they're called) that worked well in nano puffer tanks but they are tough to find locally.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Puffer would eat the eye stalks, blind, and then kill the snail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Puffer would eat the eye stalks, blind, and then kill the snail.
Have to agree.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No snails lol.... going into blackout tomorrow. Will look into a few shrimp as well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Planted Member

Nerites were too big for my SAPs and shouldn't reproduce in fw. Definitely see them cleaning the glass at night as well as sifting through the substrate

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Planted Member

... I think dwarves are more of a threat to other fish than adult snails according to the research I've done. They're really tiny; hard to really think of them as actual puffers. Most puffer rules shouldn't really apply to them

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

Tags
algea, nano, planted, puffer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode