Starting in Planted Nano Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting in Planted Nano Tanks

Hello Everyone! It seems strange for me to be starting new on a different forum then the ones I usually currently browse, but I've found in time that these are the best places for advice! Recently, I have found myself wanting start my own planted nano tank. I've been browsing around here and there, and have read up on "kits" that people can buy to start up quicker than buying each piece individually but, as I've learned while keeping larger tanks and the like, sometimes this isn't the best way to go. I was wondering, would anyone be willing to point me to some good resources to read up on, or towards a good kit to look at? It would be amazingly helpful!

I also heard livestock is important, and im currently looking at either a planted shrimp tank (maybe a sort of grassy plateau kind of scape, think that could be cool!) or small dainos or tetras, unsure yet. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

How nano are you thinkin about? Also it really depends on if you want the tank to be high tech or not. I just used some Joe Shmoe 5.5 kit from Walmart, Aquaculture I think, for $29 or so. I kept low light plants like Anubis and crypts and things grew well. I got bored and decided to get an attachable led light strip, stuck that on, and now have higher light for more plants. I know a lot of people like the Fluval Spec V but it's a little bit spendier than my MacGyvered tank.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBassin View Post
How nano are you thinkin about? Also it really depends on if you want the tank to be high tech or not. I just used some Joe Shmoe 5.5 kit from Walmart, Aquaculture I think, for $29 or so. I kept low light plants like Anubis and crypts and things grew well. I got bored and decided to get an attachable led light strip, stuck that on, and now have higher light for more plants. I know a lot of people like the Fluval Spec V but it's a little bit spendier than my MacGyvered tank.
Planning on somewhere between 5-10 gallons, trying to decide currently. Not looking for super high tech, but wanna also try to get a minimalistic feel instead of an outward jungle one.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:00 AM
Algae Grower

If you're looking for lowtech minimalistic style, I'd look into some island style aquascapes. They look pretty sleek and simple (as far as some aquascapes go). Honestly any kit with an LED light would work with an island scape with crypts and Anubis would look sweet. Don't overthink anything, as decent substrate with an LED light will grow some cool low tech setups.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
For 5g, I like the Fluval Spec V. I have 2 of these and just added a small 25w heater to the pump compartments. One has 10 ruby tetras and lots of rcs, the other has 3 sparkling gouramis and 4 boraras urophthalmoides (from a larger school of 7 that has started to age out after 6 years).

You can usually find these on sale somewhere if you look around.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my nano im planning is gonna have a path through the center, with two small 'islands'. using two nano spider wood pieces they'll sort of come together. I'll have elephant skin stone to keep the wood down and accent the scape.

UNS 25C tank.
mignon 150 HOB filter
(no heater yet, just using room temp until winter approaches)
and then a Chihiros C-series COB light

Planning on Boraras brigittae and neocaridina shrimp.

Tags
dainos, nano tank, shrimp, tetras

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode