hydrogen sulfide? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By BlackOsprey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
hydrogen sulfide?

Lately there's been a buildup of gas in my 5.5's gravel-capped dirt substrate. Based on the smell, it's probably hydrogen sulfide. So...

1) I know poking the substrate will release the gas, but should I do water changes while doing so? Will this gas mess up my water chemistry?

2) will this stuff hurt my plants? I don't have anything living in there right now besides MTS's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Planted Member

Just following purely out of interest what the responses will be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/75%)
I have a 120 gallon dirted tank and I get a fair amount of hydrogen sulfide bubbles. So far I have not observed any negative affects from the bubbles. What I do is right before a water change Iíll poke the substrate and then start the water change. Honestly it should not affect your water chemistry because most of the gas is released into the air above your tank rather than it being dissolved in your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Have you considered MTS to keep the substrate aerated?

RAOK Club #55
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

The gas will most likely cause more trouble in the substrate than on its way up to the water surface

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofCloak View Post
I have a 120 gallon dirted tank and I get a fair amount of hydrogen sulfide bubbles. So far I have not observed any negative affects from the bubbles. What I do is right before a water change Iíll poke the substrate and then start the water change. Honestly it should not affect your water chemistry because most of the gas is released into the air above your tank rather than it being dissolved in your water.

Okay, good to know. I've tried doing my own research into this, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. I read somewhere that the gas pockets will damage plant roots, is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
Have you considered MTS to keep the substrate aerated?
Doing that right now, actually. I have a bunch of them in my two other tanks to burrow in the sand. I've put at least three in there so far... the largest one doesn't seem to go underneath the gravel very much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotta View Post
The gas will most likely cause more trouble in the substrate than on its way up to the water surface

What sort of trouble, exactly?
thotta and thotta like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOsprey View Post
Okay, good to know. I've tried doing my own research into this, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there. I read somewhere that the gas pockets will damage plant roots, is that true?

Doing that right now, actually. I have a bunch of them in my two other tanks to burrow in the sand. I've put at least three in there so far... the largest one doesn't seem to go underneath the gravel very much though.

What sort of trouble, exactly?

Itís poisnous and partially soluble in water... however it is more dangerous if the gas escapes the substrate and sits between the water surface and a cover over the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode