4g (19L) filtration advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
4g (19L) filtration advice.

Hiya peeps.

Tossing up whether I should go with 2 AC20ís or a single larger filter, ie AC50/70. I want to put my heater in the filter (with guard) to increase tank space and aesthetics.

Iíve pretty much decided on Aquaclear due to many reviews and comments about how quiet and reliable they are, as well as ability to customise media etc.

Cost isnít a huge concern. Filtration and flow control are main concerns. I donít want too much flow and I donít want too much weight on the tank. I like the idea of rotating filter cleans and half of one filter dedicated to the heater. So Iím leaning toward the 2 AC20ís.

Will be low tech planted with shrimp and tetra. Small desk tank so really want a quiet low maintenance setup. Any comments are appreciated thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

> we will bring the tidal wave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

One 20 would be plenty for that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
One 20 would be plenty for that.

Yes Iím sure it would be, but with the heater in the filter it limits media, hence either getting bigger or a second filter.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I suppose another way to word it is, would an AC70 be too big for this tank?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry for stacking my own posts, I dont know how to delete other posts or this entire thread.

I think I am going to get an ac30, and using a heater guard, place the heater in the corner of the media area.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think placing a heater in the media area of an AC filter is a bad idea. Place the heater low in the rear of the tank, just above the substrate - with plants and decor you'd never know it was there. I have a 12-14" 500w titanium heater in my 60g and you can't see it from view angles.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 200 watt heater that is about as long as my 10g tank is wide. I have the heater about 1 inch above the substrate in the back, and you would never know it was there because it's completely obscured by plant mass.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

Cool looking tank. I have a few 4g nanos, filtered in a few different ways.
I’d go with the advice from AbbeysDad, personally. If you adjust the flow down on the AC30, you may still be pushing your fauna around. A single sponge filter is enough, really.
Seems like you want the inside of the tank clear of hardware. Perhaps consider an in-line heater and small canister? Zoo Med makes a filter that I considered. I ended up making my own instead. I have a Hydor ETH300 on my 40b - love it. Smaller versions exist.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I think placing a heater in the media area of an AC filter is a bad idea. Place the heater low in the rear of the tank, just above the substrate - with plants and decor you'd never know it was there. I have a 12-14" 500w titanium heater in my 60g and you can't see it from view angles.

Your reasoning? Not doubting anyone knowledge here just getting back into the hobby after years away and Iíve seen it done plenty of times without issue. The tank is small enough that I wouldnít expect any cold spots. If all I need is a basic thick sponge filter, then I can create plenty of space in an AC30 for the heater. I donít see any conís?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
Cool looking tank. I have a few 4g nanos, filtered in a few different ways.
Iíd go with the advice from AbbeysDad, personally. If you adjust the flow down on the AC30, you may still be pushing your fauna around. A single sponge filter is enough, really.
Seems like you want the inside of the tank clear of hardware. Perhaps consider an in-line heater and small canister? Zoo Med makes a filter that I considered. I ended up making my own instead. I have a Hydor ETH300 on my 40b - love it. Smaller versions exist.

Thanks, itís a Fluval Chi, but Iíve gotten rid of the horrendous filter/light box haha. Iíve got a few different lights to try out on this and may end up making a custom lid. But it sure is a nice little tank for my desk space!

I would go for a canister, however maintaining them can just be a pain after a while. I definitely do want the tank clean and clear of as much hardware as possible. As above, if I donít need much media then I may mod the AC30!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you want low maintenance, why not just do shrimp only? They prefer cooler temperatures anyways, so I doubt you'd even need a heater unless your room gets really cold during winter months. The light will add a little heat itself, especially on nano tanks. You may even be able to get by with placing a heat mat under the tank to add a little warmth during cold months. There's also the whole predatory thing with tetras and baby shrimp, if that matters any. Not many fish will pass up an opportunity to feast on some little soft shrimps, except otos.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
If you want low maintenance, why not just do shrimp only? They prefer cooler temperatures anyways, so I doubt you'd even need a heater unless your room gets really cold during winter months. The light will add a little heat itself, especially on nano tanks. You may even be able to get by with placing a heat mat under the tank to add a little heat during cold months. There's also the whole predatory thing with tetras and baby shrimp, if that matters any. Not many fish will pass up an opportunity to feast on some little soft shrimps, except otos.

I could do shrimp only.
I honestly didnít think little neon tetras or the likes would eat shrimp so yeah might have to haha. Thanks for that input!

I wouldnít do an under tank heat mat on this tank, as the base is plastic. All my lights are LED so I wouldnít imagine theyíd put too much heat into it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode