6Likes
  • 2 Post By m3lyte
  • 2 Post By madcrafted
  • 6 Post By jmontee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Fluval Spec V

I just rebooted/rescaped my Fluval Spec V. I'm still on a learning curve maintaining a low-tech planted tank. Over the last 6 months, found that I can only rely on the really bulletproof plants (Java ferns, Anubias) to make it. Because of this, after I tore the tank down, I decided to make the hardscape carry the design instead of the plants. I'm back in the hobby after decades away, and having a lot of fun with how far aquascaping has progressed since then. Your thoughts and critique are welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rescape May2018.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	857145  

madcrafted and madcrafted like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

A guy I know had a really nice fluval spec v setup that used a fluval aquasky, w/ build it in filtration, high tech Estimative index dosing, inert sand substrate from SS, 77 degrees , no co2.

Here's a pic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like it. The dimensions of the Spec V makes it difficult to get good scape but you did a nice job with the layout.
powderwt and powderwt like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
I like it. The dimensions of the Spec V makes it difficult to get good scape but you did a nice job with the layout.
Lol I can't take credit for it, it's a guy's tank on a discord community im a part of. There's alot of people on there that aren't on the forums I've found, and it's really nice to have instant feedback from people with questions or to just talk about aquascaping stuff.

I don't believe I'm really allowed to be advertising it though, but if anyone is interested feel free to PM me and I'd be more than willing to tell you more.

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderwt View Post
Lol I can't take credit for it, it's a guy's tank on a discord community im a part of. There's alot of people on there that aren't on the forums I've found, and it's really nice to have instant feedback from people with questions or to just talk about aquascaping stuff.

I don't believe I'm really allowed to be advertising it though, but if anyone is interested feel free to PM me and I'd be more than willing to tell you more.

I was referring to the OP.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I was referring to the OP.

Indeed, his hardscape is on point I must say.

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! This tank has a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 on it, running the programmed light cycle. I'm not sure if that schedule meets the lighting requirements of anything but low-light plants. The substrate is EcoComplete, but in my experience it's actually done a pretty poor job of growing anything rooted, even supplementing with Flourish tabs, liquid Flourish, and Excel. I wasn't happy with what I was seeing, so I switched to no Excel (don't like the toxicity), and pared the ferts down to 1x/wk dosing with EasyGreen (1ml/5 gallons), with marginally better results.

Quote:
The Spec V *is* a really tough tank to scape, agreed. There is just no depth nor width to work with, and you need to be selective with the scale of all of the plants. I took an A. barteri out of the tank from the original setup because of this very reason. However, I just picked up a 12-gallon Aquatop low-iron bookshelf from a private seller this afternoon--I'll have the same issue. However, I'm planning to do a streambed biotope with this one, and work with the long and narrow dimensions. Appreciate the feedback!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Algae Grower

I would remove the wood. It is unsightly because it looks out of place. The ferns should be tucked into the rocks and moss should cover the ground cover. Rock placement are nice.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I had a bit of question in my mind about the wood as well; I might remove it and see how it looks. But I wanted some sort of organic hardscape component in this layout and because of the dimensions of the Spec V, it's really challenging to hit the right balance with its physical limitations. Also, although you don't see them in the photo, the tank has shrimp. I want them to have a biofilm-friendly surface to graze on.

I don't plan on a carpet--unfortunately since this tank isn't dirted, it would probably be futile. I have a hard enough time with the easy stuff! I change at least 50% of the water every week, so I'll try EI fertilization since that would work neatly with my routine.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 10:49 PM
Algae Grower

Apps are fun. Iwagumi is the way to go. Since you have most the components down. Just remember when you're planting think of the one year from now. Java fern would grow big.cover your rocks. I suggest a Java moss ground cover. Easy to grow. Just put Java moss and press it down when it grows. It will create a layer and look great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-27-09-25-38_1527460888126.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	857521  

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
So with the right plant selection and wood you can make a Spec V look pretty well in scale. I do love the iwagumi set ups but if you want to push the limit it can be done. Check out the Spec V thread and you will see many far better than mine below!

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You consider the finnex 247 low light? I could barely keep algae in check at times in my Spec V with the finnex 247 CC unless I kept the co2 cranked to a near 247 yellow drop checker.

Now I have that light sitting on a 10g (spec leaked) and I'm now just sitting in the medium/medium high light range and it's a little easier to manage.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tried an iwagumi on my specV but it was difficult because the tank has a weird dimension and you can barely scape in it but it’s achievable. I’ve decided to go with a Dutch tank because he’d scape takes space for plants. I’m using a finnex planted plus 247 cc on max output for 8 hours with no legs just sitting directly on the glass. All my plants are growing like crazy and pearl like co2 diffusers lol for ferts I’m using nilocG thrive you can find it on amazon way cheaper than easygreen from aquarium coop.

Last edited by Agent69; 01-17-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode