2Likes
  • 2 Post By powderwt
  • 2 Post By Quagulator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5.5 gallon planted tank advice

I've decided to try a serious attempt at a decent planted shrimp tank over the summer and could use some advice on plants, as well as how many I should have.

This is what I have at present:

The substrate is organic soil capped with gravel. There's a crypt, a couple stalks of anacharis (which i might remove soon, since they don't like warmer water), 3 corkscrew vals, about a dozen tiny stems of bonsai rotala, and a small amount of duckweed floating at the top.

The water stays at a constant 78 degrees. The light is a 6 watt LED, full spectrum lighting. I'm not using CO2, nor do I want to.

I know it's important to achieve balance between nutrients, plants, and lighting to create a fairly stable tank. I'm pretty sure this aquarium could use some more plants. What would y'all recommend, and in what kind of quantity?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:16 AM
Algae Grower

I'm just gonna throw this in here from another thread by another user to a similar question..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Alternanthera reineckii 'mini'
Rotala indica (bonsai)
Staurogyne repens
HC 'cuba'
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Dwarf hair grass
Crypt parva
Crypt lutea 'hobbit'
Pogostemon helferi
Bacopa sp. 'compact'
Blyxa japonica
Littorella uniflora
Anubias nana
Bucephalandra
Echinodorus tenellus
Lobelia cardinalis

Should be a starting place at least

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Quagulator and Quagulator like this.

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 08:17 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I believe shrimp prefer close to low 70°.

You have plenty of spots for moss. Mayaca, Foxtail, HM, Java Fern, Anubias, Marimo balls, water sprite and wisteria.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Algae Grower

Make sure to get a fast growing plant, it will help to achieve balance and you’ll get less algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

If it's shrimp only I would remove the heater.

The vals will likely outgrow that tank once they take off, Dwarf Sag would be a better option, pygmy chain sword, smaller helanthiums...

I would get some mosses, pretty much guaranteed to work well in a shrimp tank (my favorite is Amblystegium serpens), java ferns + anubias too.

Common crypts will get very large too (for a 5.5 gal). Crypt lutea, lutea 'hobbit' and parva are some good smaller crypts.
thotta and thotta like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, time to update this...
I went on vacation for a week so my tank had some time to grow without me messing with it. I came back to this:

The temperature has been reduced from 78 to 72 degrees since apparently a lot of the plants in there grow better like that. It might not be easy to see in this picture, but algae has started to grow here and there. Brown stuff has covered all but one of the crypt's leaves (the undersides of the browned leaved are turning red...) and hair algae has hijacked some of the smaller slower-growing plants.

I'm still a total noob but I know this is probably because of some sort of imbalance between nutrients and light and maybe CO2. Right now, I have water sprite, anacharis, repens, a crypt, and corkscrew val in there. Do I need more plants? Or would reducing the amount of light be better?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode