A gift - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
A gift

This past Christmas I gifted my sonís god parents(neighbor) with a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 SE 24Ē, UNS 60U 20 gallon high clarity rimless tank, 17lb bag of ADA Amazonia, Aquaclear 50, 10lbs of Ohko stone, and two cups of ADA tissue culture eleocharis Ďbelemí.

I left the hardscape placement to them and then had to redo a bit of their dwarf hair grass planting as they didnít know to remove the gel and separate the plantlets.

They went back to China at the end of March and left the tank in my care with permission to do as I see fit. Theyíll be back in mid June.

So I planted it out with my trimmings and added some additional e. parvula since the Belem didnít get spread out properly in the beginning. Let it go a few weeks. Dealt with an algae problem.

And now here we are.

Kinda regret the E. Parvula now...

Also fixed up the Fluval Spec V I gave them the previous Christmas that has seen much better days.

I built the stand for a larger tank, but smaller was more manageable for water changes and 5g buckets.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Bold move and hard to say how others view things. I'm kind of slow to do too much for other folks even if it seems to be "required" in my view.
I agree with you that it seems better.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it! Does it have any inhabitants?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderwt View Post
I like it! Does it have any inhabitants?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I gave them a Fluval Spec V the year before, and after rehoming some improper species selections they made, things went well for months till the rest of their fish died I believe to starvation (everyone in their house thought someone else was feeding the fish, and the one person I knew would take care of them was in China dealing with family health issues). So after she got back I gave them some of my guppies, and shrimp again, which have been breeding well for them. So they moved some from the Spec V to the 60U.

I took care of the algae issue as seen in April photo with some otos, and bringing over an outlet timer.

So guppies and ottos.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wish someone would buy me all my equipment!! So does my wife....haha.

Looks good, hopefully they agree!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I wish someone would buy me all my equipment!! So does my wife....haha.

Looks good, hopefully they agree!
It was easier to splurge on my neighbors than to splurge on myself. I cheaped out on all my own stuff. Tho, this Black Friday if BucePlant has a BOGO rimless tank like last Black Friday, then I'll get a 60U and replace my standard 20 tall. I think it was a 60U got a 3N free.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A gift

Neighbors are coming back tomorrow. It's grown in and needed a small trim to the rotala wallichi.

The dwarf hair grass parvula needs to go. I'm gonna let her see the tank before I yank it all out. Either spread out the 2nd cup of Belem that got planted without separating or replace and mix in some elatine hydropiper. I also had intended to switch up the stocking before they got back but never got around to it, oh well...

The leftward ‘lean’ is funny. Even with the blinds closed the rotala rotundfolia green and ludwigia arculata still reach for the window. I think the tank light needs to be on during the brightest times of the day to counter the window. Current timing is 6AM-10AM, 6PM-10PM.

AR Cardinalis looks great in low tech. The rotala rotundfolia green is a weed, it's crawled under the rocks and come out in front and gone right through the AR cardinalis.

Ammania gracilis looks much nicer than in my tanks, probably due to softer water.

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 06-12-2018 at 05:42 PM. Reason: also
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thatís a great gift you have provided. It looks to be a great improvement on the first photo in the thread. Hope your neighbours appreciate and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode