Fluval Flex Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Flex Questions

Hello, I am new to planted aquariums. I have kept saltwater reef tanks for years, but have never kept anything freshwater. I recently (3 months ago) purchased a 9 gallon fluval flex to try the hobby out, and so far I am really enjoying it.

As of now, I just have some java fern, an ozelot sword, an amazon sword plant and 2 moss balls. All are doing surprisingly well and I have seen some pretty decent growth recently. I also have a small school of glowlight danios.

The only problem I have is the light does not include a timer. I work many days from 7-6, so a light with a timer would be ideal. I am looking into replacing the hood and keeping the tank rimless. I have seen suggestions such as the finnex fugeray and fluval eco nano, but neither have integrated timers. Does anyone have any suggestions for a mountable light with a timer that would fit my aquarium?

Also, would a CO2 system be a good idea for this setup? I have just been using liquid carbon supplementation (Excel) so far. I wouldn't mind spending some $$$ on a good nano CO2 system though, if it is recommended. However, I haven't come across any nano co2 systems with very good reviews. Should I continue with liquid carbon supplementation or upgrade to a gaseous carbon system? I do not necessarily desire more rapid plant growth, but obviously it would be nice.

Lastly, I don't know squat about aquarium plants lol. So if y'all have any suggestions as to what species would do well in my tank, please let me know. And if any of the plants (or fish) I currently have are not suitable for my aquarium, I would love to know so I can make the proper adjustments. I am still learning, so constructive criticism is welcome!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Algae Grower

Hi - Iíve been googling this same question re:lights. Great tank but a touch frustrating the lack of controls on the light.

In terms of timer it seems a mechanical timer at the power point is the best option. This is what I do but be warned only the white channel comes on. So you are still stuck manually turning the colour channel on.

If you want more light, your options are limited unless you want to lose the lid. The best I have googled (not yet done) is to order a second fluval flex light and hold it in place with silicone. The light is water proof and fits the lid.

Sorry canít held with CO2.

Good luck with it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

Read upon your plants first and their requirements. Amazon's run large. Will consume ur tank fast and soak up a lot of root nutrients. As for lighting if these plants are doing well you can setup a wall plug in timer. If you want co2, upgrade your filtration and lighting. Lighting and c02 come hand in hand.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the 15 gallon Flex I just ordered this for timing: https://www.amazon.com/Century-Outle...ed+power+strip

Regarding nano CO2 systems, I'm going to tell you right now to not even consider anything without a solenoid regulator. I just tried it with the Fluval kit, it wasn't worth the worry of not being precise. I'm about to set up the Ista basic mini CO2 system with a solenoid regulator so I plan to review that here soon.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM
Algae Grower

I have the Flex 15 and found this video on YouTube...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode