Building my 3 gal. nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Building my 3 gal. nano tank

Hello everybody!
I'm new to the forum, so I am excited to meet all the new people here and here your feedback and personal experiences. Anyway, I am in what I call phase 1 of my planted 3 gallon nano tank, I'll try to get a picture posted a bit later. I have run a fishless cycle for over a month now, and finally got the cycle to finish. Phase 1: I bought 5 red cherry shrimp, dwarf baby tears, jagged swords, and some red bamboo like plant I can't remember what it is now . I have 4W/gal of lighting and I am looking to add some colorful background plants down the road. However, I do have a few questions. I have been noticing some yellowing on my dwarf baby tears, and was considering dosing with seachem flourish, thoughts? Also, will that be a problem for my shrimp? I have heard both yes and no. Last, I was planning on getting 4 celestial pearl danios or galaxy rasbora in my tank, thoughts? I very much would like to add on to the shrimp down the road, and want colorful fish as a nice centerpiece, but they have to be pretty small given the tank size and won't eat my shrimp. Let me know your thoughts as this is somewhat unfamiliar territory for me and its a bit scary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Hi and welcome!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hello there! Welcome to the world of planted tanks!

As yop suspected, your plants are likely suffering from some deficiencies. I recommend using Nilocg's EI dosing package, which can be purchased at this link:
EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics

Its cheap and relatively easy to use.

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

Letting you know ahead of time dwarf baby tears are annoying to care for. They require pretty good lighting and co2 to flourish. You can keep them in low tech tank but will not be as you like. I would switch to baby tears, Monte Carlo. Less finicky. And cpd do great with shrimp. Be sure to keep a harem of females they do best with one male.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:06 PM
Planted Member

Another fert option: Aquarium Co-Op’s Easy Green. It’s fairly comprehensive, and is all I now use. I use it on several 4g tanks, roughly half a squirt after wc, each week.
As said above, DBT are not easy plants. I’d second the recommendations for alternatives.
Also, plants must adjust to their environment, which means likely initial yellowing or melt. Look for new growth, and ignore whatever was original. If the new stuff is yellowing, then perhaps dig in more to specific deficiencies.
If you enjoy the measuring, testing, tweaking, etc., dry ferts can be quite satisfying perhaps. I find a squirt from a single bottle to be more my style.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just an update for everybody the nano tank is currently in a transition stage. I have started cycling it again, but all of the previous fish are either dead or moved into my 40b, I upgraded. The nano will now be for my male betta, Mr. Bird, I am planning on running low to medium care plants and see how different plants do. It is now a dirted tank capped with about 2" of black sand as the substrate. I will post a pic once the tank has finished cycling!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 AM
Algae Grower

Can't wait to see updates!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update!

Hey everybody!
So I know it has been a while and this tank has been through some major changes. So after the guppies multiplied a lot, surprise surprise, the shrimp all died. I ended up with a bunch of juvi guppies until I got my 40 gal breeder tank. So the tank turned into a failed DIY greenhouse after I moved all the fish to the 40 gal. Fast forward a ways and I have decided to revamp the tank so my male betta can have a nice home. It is now a dirted tank running DIY CO2 that was struggling from a weird mucus like algae problem, but I think I solved it. I got a new light filtration, and now I'm kind of running it as my experiment tank to run a few DIY CO2 tests, for fun, and seeing what luck I have with growing a few new plants to me. Anyway I will try to keep a better update to you all on how the progress is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3422.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	868977  

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 02:53 AM
Planted Member

Wow, that’s a lot of dirt. I’ve usually only used 1/2 to 1” under the cap, and no issue with nutrient loss for a year plus. I don’t know that a thicker bed is going to be trouble - let us know what happens.

Sounds like a fun playground for aquarium DIY goodness. Enjoy!

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

I've tried dwarf baby tears in a low-tech (no filter, no air pump, only lighting) plant-only tank. I would say around 85% of the plants died, and the ones that remained are very small. They are adorable, but will probably take 10 years to grow into a full carpet. In the same tank, I have monte carlo that is doing slightly better, but still taking a pretty long time. Conclusion: carpet is difficult in small tanks and require a lot of patience

Nano tanks below 2 gallons only, I love a challenge
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

Hi welcome
I agree with a previous poster, DBT needs regular co2 to do its best, Monte Carlo is less demanding but would be slow without co2. 3 gallons is rather tiny to be dosing liquid co2 any errors are much more harmful to fish and shrimp, it's possible but you would need a 1ml syringe.
If you are looking to spend loads choose high tech demanding plants if not low tech options are much better.
As for the fish they are not that colourful and I would say they like to be in small groups, what will you do when the shrimp breed or the fish breed? 3gallon will be harder to maintain water quality than a 5 or 10g.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

Just noticed your updates, why did all your shrimp die? Sorry about that. Why did you choose soil and gravel over a planted commercial soil substrate? Your tank looks lovely. Be careful soil expands over the course of a year and you could easily have double the amount of soil you have now filling 50% of your tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode