Late bloomer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
jyg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Late bloomer?

A few months ago I set up a ~4g cube. It currently has an AC20 on the back with just a sponge, though in recent days I have added some carbon. It has a hardware store LED 6000K bulb, with wattage I cannot remember at the moment though it is decently bright, even if this small stank still has some shadows. Substrate is relatively deep with 2" in the front to 3" in the rear, with just rock, no dirt or fertilizer. There is about 1/2 gal volume of drift wood, with moss and one, relatively large anubius, all attached to the wood. As for fauna, there are two African dwarf frogs and 5 celestial pearl danios (galaxy rasbora). I keep the heat at around 78F. pH is naturally low, close to 6, perhaps a smidge higher (getting a new pH meter tomorrow.) I use 0 TDS water and add Excel Flourish regularly -- the tank is algae free.

After about 6 week of running only a Rio90 with everything except the fauna and wood, dropping in a few pellets of frog or fish food now and then. After a couple of weeks I added one, small, low budget (i.e. not one of the celestial) danio. Wait a few weeks. No nitrogen. In fact everything reads 0, including KH and GH. Wait a couple of weeks. Added the AC20 with only a new sponge and removed the Rio. About a week, with still no nitrogen, I gave the cheap danio back to the store and bought/added six of the celestial danios. Couple more weeks. No nitrogen. Throughout all of this the flora look good -- green, strong. Couple more weeks. Suddenly, one danio dies. No idea why. Even dead for a few hours when I found it, it looked healthy. I think it's just a coincidence. A wee later the water looks every so slightly white and milky. I have close to 0.25 PPM NH3. I do a 2 quart water change and add some carbon into the AC20. After a few days it's a little more milky, but not alarmingly so. Close to 0.5 PPM NH3. I do a water change close to 1gal. NH3, maybe back towards 0.25PPM. Still no NO2, NO3, KH nor GH.

I'm 3 to 4 months in and now it cycles? Is that what's its doing? Or...? If it is cycling, I'm wondering if not using the AC20 during the first month or so was a mistake that biting me in the rear? Even so, that was 2 months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:33 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

Your tank is cycling.
Ammonia kick starts the nitrogen cycle, has nothing to do with using a power head or a filter. The media in a filter provides extra room for bacteria. That extra room is, arguabliy, of marginal value for a 4g tank.

Using RO / purified water with 0 TDS is fine as long as you re-mineralized it. Otherwise it contains no minerals for fish or plants. You want your kH around 3 or higher, depending on plants / fish / shrimp you want to keep. You can check Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics / this forum / etc on how to make your water suitable for a freshwater aquarium.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
jyg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
OVT,

Exactly what I didn't want to hear. But I was just in denial anyhow. I suppose the good news in taking this long to start cycling is that it might indicate that the bioload is at an acceptably low ratio vs tank volume. I was afraid I had over done it. The bad news is that I have fairly small and somewhat delicate fish as the cycle ramps up.

So, I overdosed with Prime a bit last night, just to be safe. Today I got some bacteria. Never had to cycle with desirable livestock in the tank before. I'm hoping this will jump start and keep the fish safe without having to over do the water changes.

As an aside, I also bought some Seachem Flourish which is quite similar to the ThriveC you mentioned. LFS didn't have it.

Thanks for the advice.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 03:54 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 does not contain macro nutrients that the plants need. The plants you listed are slow growers and you might be able to get by just on fish food and waste.

Good luck with the cycle.

Tags
cycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode