Setting up new tank, moding question on sponge filter - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Tibbi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up new tank, moding question on sponge filter

I am setting up the marineland portrait 5 gallon. It's been in the shed for too long. Lol MTS. Any I am going to put a sponge filter in it instead of the internal pump and filter box.

But I was thinking of either having a small sponge connected on the inside with the sponge hidden, flow coming out the top how the tank has. Or cutting a small circle out where the water would flow in the back of the tank and have the sponge come out there for grazing spots for shrimp.

My heater will fit in the back hidden. Also the sponge I have coming is the is the one for fry.

AQUANEAT Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Betta Fry Fish Tank Sponge XY-2830

I was thinking I could you flexible tubing on the sponge filter to fit better in the inside back area so it won't fall apart when placed in the back. And if I have the sponge sticking out of where the water would norminaly flow into the tank have two filter sponges between the heater so little shrimp could not swim into the back of the tank. Or somehow how the sponge hanging down from where to water flows out into the tank and have the flow coming where it would to in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Planted Member

If you are comfortable constantly policing the shrimps activities, by all means but if you plan on them breeding why not just let them wander wherever they want and then periodically "harvest" them from that back area. I do this with my filter sock once or twice a year and it's always like Christmas: snails, fry, shrimplets and adults - they'll be fine back there and may even prefer it

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Planted Member

The fact is companies like marineland know what we're all trying to do and intentionally make it difficult for us. I've found over the years that I inevitably have to build my own systems from scratch to avoid deaths, leaks, etc. It's really all junk - aesthetically pleasing junk - but junk nonetheless if you plan on doing this indefinitely and/or for profit. The only pieces I buy rather than build are the tanks themselves which usually require additional customization anyway. Everything else comes from the "home improvement store". Even the return pumps I've been using are for garden fountains or commercial potable use. Nothing I use is or will ever be a brand name aquarium product. Yes this is partly out of spite but it's mostly due to traumatic experience. We're really on our own here. They need us to fail and routinely upgrade to support their business model. I for one am not at all sympathetic for the industry decline. Especially now with the injection of YouTube culture into the hobby first-time fishkeepers are bombarded with misinformation and it only takes one bad experience to turn someone off when they might otherwise have been lifelong fishkeepers. It shouldn't be a popularity contest. The fish don't care. In the end it really doesn't bode well for the animals.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a good idea about the shrimp harvesting. I don't plan on selling mostly giving away or putting in my bigger thank. This tank is just going to be for fun, and I had it. But yes it's why it sat in the shed for over a year. I do plan on doing a empty run with only water to make sure I get everything setup/working. and no water leaks. I wish marineland had bad the back part removable. But yes the market needs better education, I work retail so I hear it. "I want this goldfishie or this half gallon bowl." It kills me.

If I could I would get a nice rimless tank this size with glass canopy, but most of the good ones are uk based I think. All of the ada stuff and glass parts. I love it. I say if I ever won the lottery I'd open a fish store for fun and a little nook area with all kinds of fish books and magazine to read.

But this is my tank I finally got going good 20 gallon tall. So just thought I'd think of away to use this tank for shrimp hence the modding. Had trouble finding the size. Had to buy a kit and threw away all the parts I planned no using. Lol

splattered and splattered like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I got the tank going. Just a water run to check for leaks and make sure the sponge filter is working in its setup. I ended up putting the sponge in the back of the tank. And using the flow go into the tank like it would with the original setup. And I think I will put another sponge behind that hole so fish and shrimp cant get in there and to act as another prefilter. That is not the original light.

I can't wait to start planting. I am going to dry start it with some baby tear seeds I bought on Amazon. I planted them in a smaller tank and they look so cool. Here is the smaller tank.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided that tank is not working so I bought another one. Don't think I should give that tank away. Was not hearing the water with the heater in the back. Got a 8 gallon Cobalt tank. Wanted a rimless cube.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode