• 2 Post By Rnasty
  • 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By cbachmann

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
First try - 5 gallon high tech - need advise

I'm going to make my first attempt at a 5 gallon high tech after a few years of doing low/mid tech tanks. Here is my tank as it stands now.

5g
Ovation 210 filter
5w Finnex fugeray
Dosing excel and ferts right now since I need to wait to afford all the Co2 equipment.

Currently there are Rotala, Telanthera cardinalis, S. Repens, and red crypts. I'm going to start a carpet when I get the Co2 going, haven't decided yet on what the plants will be. Maybe Dwarf baby tears. Anubias nana and pheonix moss will cover the drift wood. There's also a tiny patch of DHG I have in there.

So here are my questions - what would a Co2 setup look like on a 5 gallon? I'm having a hard time finding solid information on this. It'd be great if someone could point my directly to what I need. Also, How much light will I need? I've grown all these plants with the current light, but I understand with Co2 I will need more. Will a fugeray planted + work well paired with my fugeray? That would be a total of 14w

This tnak will be my baby and I want it exploding with growth so it can handle a decent bioload for the tank size. I'd like to have a couple scarlet badis, a small school of micro rasboras, and shrimp. I also really enjoy spending time tanking care of my tanks so cleaning up after a bigger bioload isn't an issue

oh, here is the start of the tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you don't want to spend alot of money on a CO2 regulator or a big tank, I would look into an aquatek CO2 paintball regulator w/ solenoid valve and a 20 or 24 oz. paintball tank, a cheap glass diffuser and a cheap glass drop checker. Around $120 total. That's about as cheap as you can get without going the disposable CO2 cartridge route. You won't need to refill the tank but every 6 months on a 5 gallon tank. Disposable cartridges will last about a month at most.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

my 24oz paintball setup lasts me 8 months on a 5 gal, if you aren't planning on upgrading I would look into a setup like Madcraft suggested.

That light should be able to grow all the plants you listed, CO2 permitting....

My micro rasboras did not like a 5 gallon, I put them into a 30 gallon and they immediately were more active, more colour and never hide anymore, food for thought.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
my 24oz paintball setup lasts me 8 months on a 5 gal, if you aren't planning on upgrading I would look into a setup like Madcraft suggested.

That light should be able to grow all the plants you listed, CO2 permitting....

My micro rasboras did not like a 5 gallon, I put them into a 30 gallon and they immediately were more active, more colour and never hide anymore, food for thought.

I've never had an issue with the light not being able to grow anything, I just don't know how much light the Co2 will demand. I'll have to look up some videos about how to get the bubble count right.

If my rasboras don't like the 5g I'll jsut move them to my 10g, it's heavily planted so they'll be sure to like it. There is a dope 5g microrasbora showtank at my LFS. I'm striving for that, but I know the owner of said tank takes extremely good care of it.
Quagulator and Quagulator like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnasty View Post
I've never had an issue with the light not being able to grow anything, I just don't know how much light the Co2 will demand. I'll have to look up some videos about how to get the bubble count right.

If my rasboras don't like the 5g I'll jsut move them to my 10g, it's heavily planted so they'll be sure to like it. There is a dope 5g microrasbora showtank at my LFS. I'm striving for that, but I know the owner of said tank takes extremely good care of it.
CO2 is not dependent on light.... It works very well @ low light and very well @ high light. For my 5 gal I was slightly over 1bps. Start there and watch for the peak pH drop, should be roughly 1.0-1.3 @ decent CO2 concentration.

My 30g Journal:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The biggest advise I could give you is to start with more plants. It Makes everything much more stable and decreases chances of algae by a lot. If more plants is not an option I would dim the light. Most people will have the light dim or lights turned on for less time during the start of a tank then slowly increase the photo period.

Hope this helps, skye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ended up getting some glosso, dwarf baby tears, and dwarf four leaf clover to start carpeting. For now I'm going to use excel until I get Co2
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
If you don't want to spend alot of money on a CO2 regulator or a big tank, I would look into an aquatek CO2 paintball regulator w/ solenoid valve and a 20 or 24 oz. paintball tank, a cheap glass diffuser and a cheap glass drop checker. Around $120 total. That's about as cheap as you can get without going the disposable CO2 cartridge route. You won't need to refill the tank but every 6 months on a 5 gallon tank. Disposable cartridges will last about a month at most.
That is what I have going on my 20 gallon tank. And I don't have to replace it that much. I am setting up a 5 gallon with another one as well.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbi View Post
That is what I have going on my 20 gallon tank. And I don't have to replace it that much. I am setting up a 5 gallon with another one as well.
That what? The aquatek or a disposable cartridge kit?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Another +1 for the Aquatek CO2 paintball reg.
Works well, easy to maintain. One of the most frusrtating things about setting up a CO2 system is leaks. A slow/small leak may leaving things looking like they are running fine, only to realize the entire CO2 tanks is empty in a week. My 24oz paintball tank last 8 months or so at 8 hrs a day, 2-3 bbs. Any diffused will likely work, but here's some product recommendations for other items. Haven't had any leak issues with these.

I also suggest a good check valve, no cheap plastic ones. Aquatek's is great:
https://www.amazon.com/AQUATEK-Premi...ek+check+valve

Good bubble counter:
https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-Bub...bubble+counter

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
My 24oz paintball tank last 8 months or so at 8 hrs a day, 2-3 bbs.
Really? Before purchasing the aquatek I was using the ISTA 95g (~3.4 oz.) cartridges on my 5 gallon. I got just over 4 weeks before pressure dropped significantly on those cartridges. This is with no leaks and teflon tape on cartridge threading. This was running at roughly the same flow rate I run now on the aquatek... which is between 38-45 bpm (temperature dependent) for 8 hours. My math tells me that I'll be running low in the next few weeks considering the aquatek has been running since mid November. According to your rate, I have a couple years before I need to refill.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

My 24oz @ 2-3bps last me 3 months.... no leaks either. On for 8 hours a day.

I must have overly large bubbles lol
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.

My 30g Journal:

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
The aquatek is great! I bought one used and have been running it on my spec v for a few months. I thought about doing the cartridge system but it's definitely not going to be economical in the long run.

I'd suggest minmizing phosphate, especially till you get co2. Also don't forget iron for all your red plants (and frankly plants in general)

As far as stocking, I'd look into pea puffers. Great fish, lots of personality. I have two in my spec v, they seem to get along really well.
madcrafted and madcrafted like this.

My tanks:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
My 24oz @ 2-3bps last me 3 months.... no leaks either. On for 8 hours a day.

I must have overly large bubbles lol
That sounds about right. I forgot to mention mine is a whole 4 oz less than you guy's. (months worth lol). There is some variation in bubble size from counter to counter but not THAT much.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
The aquatek is great! I bought one used and have been running it on my spec v for a few months. I thought about doing the cartridge system but it's definitely not going to be economical in the long run.
Not only that, but to have to manually turn them on/off everyday. Never again. It's not like they use quality needle valves in these little regulators.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post

As far as stocking, I'd look into pea puffers. Great fish, lots of personality. I have two in my spec v, they seem to get along really well.

A bit ahead of you, I have a 10g pea puffer tank

So I went ahead and got some carpeting plants - glosso, dwarf four leaf clover, and dwarf baby tears. All that's left is to cover the drift wood in pheonix moss and anubias nana. I've been running excel and the plants have responded very well. I already see a lot of new growth from the telanthera cardinalis. The glosso also rooted and began growing shockingly fast.

My tank recently completed its cycle and my LFS finally had one of my favorite fish, so I picked myself up a clown killi Been 3 days since I got him and he looks very happy and colorful

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode