CO2 and Light for 6.2 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 and Light for 6.2 gallon

I decided to completely restart one of my nano tanks and attempt an iwagumi style scape. The tank is a 6.2 gallon that will have fluval stratum as the substrate, elephant skin stone will be the hardscape, and my goal is to have a lush carpet of dwarf hairgrass which will be the only plants in the tank. I will also use the dry start method.

I set the tank up a week ago and have been debating on what to do for CO2 when I flood the tank? I'm not sure if excel would work? Buce plant sells a nature bottle by UNS that looks pretty cool. It is basically a diy system that is gel based but would that work in maintaining the hairgrass carpet? I have also looked into pressurized systems and if I went that way a paintball set up would be ideal since the tank is in my kitchen. Unfortunately the mini regulator by GLA and another by UNS are currently unavailable. I have also considered a diy regulator with a post body kit from diyco2regulators.com but I have little experience with that.... So what would be the ideal CO2 method?

My second question regards the light. I currently have a finnex planted plus cliplight (the newer version) which is 10" in length. The par data is kinda limited for it but I think it would work. However, I am not sure if it would have enough spread to reach all sides/corners of the tank. Should I switch to a different light? Or will the clip light suffice for the dwarf hairgrass?
I can provide pictures if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For a thick and lush carpet, you're going to want to use CO2. DHG can take awhile to fill in even then. There's really no need to dry start hairgrass. Just plant them deep enough and they'll usually stay in place just fine. This way you can skip that whole transitional browning/melting phase.

I use the aquatek mini paintball reg and solenoid for my 5 gallon. It works well enough for $80 on fleabay. The needle valve is a bit touchy but once it's set, you don't have to fool with it anymore thanks to the solenoid and a cheap 24 hour timer.

Can't speak on the finnex clip on, but it may do just fine. I have a 16" finnex planted plus on said tank and it's too much with a depth of 12". I dim it back to 75% output power for the most part.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response.

How do you like the aquatek regulator, do you have any regret buying it? I originally considered it but was discouraged by the reviews being so all over the place. What size paintball tank do you use and about how long does it last since we have similar sized tanks?

Thats good to know about the planted plus. Any idea if a 16" or 18" stingray would work begter than the clip light?

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the aquatek just fine. No regrets at all. Matter of fact, I may scoop up another one and rig up a diy manifold to run a couple of my 2.6 gallon tanks soon. I use a 20 oz. tank and it's been running since November so far. I figure about 6-7 months before I need to re-fill it. It runs at roughly 40 bpm with the included bubble counter to give me 30 ppm +/-.

Not sure about the stingray. Did you figure PAR ratings at substrate? DHG will do good in the medium to medium-high range. It will lighten up a bit, much like many other plants with really high lighting, even with sufficient nutrients, IME. Only thing about the stingray I didn't like was the lack of red LEDs. I like a little warm tone, but that's all subjective. Plants do stretch a little more with those reds, though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

For what its worth. I recently chose the 16 inch stingray for my 10 gallon. It's a few more watts than the clip light. Im just starting it, so I can't tell you how well it grows plants yet. I'm expecting it to be enough to grow dwarf hair grass through 10 inches of water across it's length. So the clip light may be good for your 6.2. Is that tank long enough for a 16 or 18 inch light?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think you have sold me on the aquateck. As for par data, I found a couple posts for a 48" and it is 40 at 12" and 54 at 9". I have no idea how that data would compare to a 16" since it is for a 48".

My tank is 17.5" in length and 10" in depth. So basically a 5.5 gallon that is 1.5" longer and with a bowfront. It is the 6.2 imagiterium sold at petco. After more research I found out the stingray is sold in 16 and 20 inch versions. The 16 inch does expand out or at least thats what the reviews state.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:26 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
10" light over a 17" long tank sounds a bit short. The PAR data for 48" does not translates linearly to 10" but close enough. Even if you are at some 30 PAR, DHG will grow. In short, try what you got first - you can always spend more money later. Ditch the dry start - flood the tank and let it grow.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you're trying to save some cash and want better coverage, you can look into these lights. There's quite a few happy users of this light here at TPT. https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSP...A%2B6500K&th=1
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like the idea of using what I have and see how it works out, hopefully I won't have to buy a new light. I will certainly keep the beamswork in mind. It looks like a pretty decent light. I will order the aquateck tonight and will flood the tank when it arrives later this week. Thanks for the help everyone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode