What To Do With My Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What To Do With My Cube

Hi.
Im new to this forum and just getting back into the freshwater world after being in the salty side of life for a while. (I still have 2 successful reef tanks and work at a salt water fish and coral store locally). I recently acquired a custom build cube tank thats about 7ish gallons from a fresh water aquascape contest. Im looking for recommendations for what to do with it. I want to do a fresh water tank because 3 reef tanks is just to much to manage for right now. I would love to do a biotope tank but I can't decide of which biotope to chose from. I know I'm limited to small fish. Please let me know if any of you have any cool ideas for my tank. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Algae Grower

Sounds like it could be a cool little cube for a single male or harem of Dario Dario depending on the footprint of the tank....if you wanted a show piece type fish.

Vin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Type1VW View Post
Hi.
Im new to this forum and just getting back into the freshwater world after being in the salty side of life for a while. (I still have 2 successful reef tanks and work at a salt water fish and coral store locally). I recently acquired a custom build cube tank thats about 7ish gallons from a fresh water aquascape contest. Im looking for recommendations for what to do with it. I want to do a fresh water tank because 3 reef tanks is just to much to manage for right now. I would love to do a biotope tank but I can't decide of which biotope to chose from. I know I'm limited to small fish. Please let me know if any of you have any cool ideas for my tank. Thanks
throw some nice rocks and drift wood together. plant some stem plants to fill in the tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

So after going to my favorite fresh water LFS and talking to the owner he suggested a Asian black water biotope and I think that’s where I’m going to go with this tank. So far I have one really nice looking larger log with lots of branches that will be the center point of the tank. For stocking I’m going to keep it simple with a hand full of rasboras and maybe a bottom dweller of some kind. I measured out the tank and it’s 11.3 gallons.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will post pictures as soon as it’s wet and planted.

Another question I had is can I add plants while it’s cycling? It’s been a while sense I’ve done fresh thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You Can absolutely cycle with plants in. Just keep your ammonia levels in the 2ppm range or else some species of plant will melt a bit more than the melt you'll see as a newly submerged plant transitions from emmersed growth.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
The tank will cycle faster with healthy plants. The sooner you plant the sooner you you have a stable tank.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Well the tank has substrate in. I used some left over ADA power sand, soil, and fine soil that I had laying around. For lighting I'm using a Kessil A-80 Tuna Sun. I need help picking plants next that are native to south east Asia. So far I'm going with Crypts but thats all I have picked out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Planted Member

Crypts are hugely varied, so even just sticking to those can be very interesting.
I would suggest taking a photo of your tank with substrate and hardscape, and sketching in what you want for plant locations. A little planning now, instead of disrupting the scape later.
Also, please share the pics and plan if you’re willing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Here is the tank so far. I’m on the hunt for another piece of wood to go in the tank more towards the front. My plan is to litter the front of the tank with tanin leaching debris and plant tall plants in the back that will hopefully grow up and out of the water just don’t know what kind yet. And in the middle plants some crypts. I will be getting plants hopefully this Sunday or Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC878AE4-08BF-424A-A1C2-D44366342E5A_1523118706336.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	843561  

Tags
biotope, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode