Hello, looking for plant selection advice on nano tank build. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello, looking for plant selection advice on nano tank build.

Hello everyone! I’m a new guy here. I’m setting up my first tank in about 15 years. I had a 15g and 55g in high school, and while I used live plants, they weren’t really planted tanks. The build I’m planning is for a 10 gallon Penn Plax curved corner aquarium. I’m adding extra lighting doing my own built in filter behind the background. The filter it comes with will be a backup if my pump dies.

The inspiration is an undercut stream bank. Take a look at the drawing below. The background is quite ambitious. I’m going to try gluing some gaged slate tile one on top of another and then carve out the undercut “cliff side”.

I’m looking for advice on plants. I would like a ground cover for the substrate that will flow in the current, adding to the river feel, but won’t grow over the slate. That’s where the simple plant descriptions seem to be lacking, will it grow on rock, in substrate, or both? The bottom left corner probably won’t get a lot of light, but that’s where I really want the flow to show up.

I would also like a med to high light, low growing plant for the top of the cliff. Something that will grow on the slate, and take advantage of that brightly lit area.

Finally, maybe an accent to attach to the cliff face on the right?

The drawing is not to scale. The tank is about 12” tall, and the cliff will be 10-11” tall. I hope you can make out the drawing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8A8B96AA-72FC-49BA-B2E9-AC1FCDC8396F_1522623235759.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	842065  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Two things I forgot. I don’t want the complexity of a co2 setup, and the water level will be a bit low. It might be good for the cliff top plant to be amphibious.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

I am thinking dwarf hair grass for the bottom, moss of your liking for the right face.

The top plant will be a challange to establish on slate and to keep clear of algae. I personally see narrow leaf Java Fern there. If you like smaller plant there, maybe riccia, dwarf baby tears, or such, held down by a net.

Another idea is to use stem plants wedged behind the top slate or held down by plant weight, a stone etc. Then your choices go up substantially. Check out mayaca and rotalas and Limnophilas for the look / color / size you like. If you want a challange and in "in your face" color, rotala macrandra is hard to beat.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks OVT I’ll look at all those.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The java fern seems too tall for the top of the tank for my liking.

Reading between the lines on baby tears, the general rule that you need CO2 seems to only be because most people submerge it, when it really likes to grow at the surface, exposed to the air. Yes? If so, I think that will suit my cliff top just fine. I intend for some of it to breach the water line.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Right you are on baby tears. I would love to see your tank, when you are ready.
Enjoy the process.

Bump: baby tears comes in 3 sizes, with dwarf being the smallest. The regular baby tears, aka pearl weed, is a much easier plant.

Last edited by OVT; 04-04-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Bump
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks again OVT. I’m going to take my time cycling the tank, making sure the store bought slate isn’t carrying something that’ll mess with things, etc. Plus that background is probably 3 of Saturday mornings of work. Maybe I’ll start a thread to show the build progress. But I won’t steal your wisdom without showing you the results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode