1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Always have algae on glass.

Tank is 2.6g Fluval Spec 3.
Substrate is Fluval stratum.
Plants are stem plants and a java fern. Removing A R tomorrow. Light is standard light that came with kit on 1 hour in am and 6 hrs in pm. I dose .50ml Thrive once a week.
Weekly water changes.
Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates around 20 or less.

What do you think I need to do to balance this tank??

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long has the tank been set up? I'm assuming it's diatoms if the algae is brown.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
How long has the tank been set up? I'm assuming it's diatoms if the algae is brown.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Set up 11-24-2017. The algae is green and only on the glass. I battled hair algae in the beginning but got under control by adding more plants and lowering my light period. I wipe off this greenish yellow algea off the glass at least once a week but it just comes back. None on plants.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get a nerite or two. They love glass algae, with the excpetion of GSA. Or just leave it be for awhile and scrape it off. It'll die back soon enough. Tank isn't fully matured yet is all. Not bad thing to have some algae and bio film...especially for those shrimps.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
Get a nerite or two. They love glass algae, with the excpetion of GSA. Or just leave it be for awhile and scrape it off. It'll die back soon enough. Tank isn't fully matured yet is all. Not bad thing to have some algae and bio film...especially for those shrimps.
Can't do a nerite as I have a pea puffer. Shrimp are gone too.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Planted Member

Nerites are way too big for a pea puff to do anything to. I even keep them with south american puffers. Only thing is if you get a pair they'll lay dormant eggs everywhere so just get one large one

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What are your phosphate levels like? When mine creep up I start seeing more and more GSA.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
What are your phosphate levels like? When mine creep up I start seeing more and more GSA.
Not sure. Should I invest in a test for phosphates?

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
GSA shows up when phosphates are low not high.
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

Just a noob

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
GSA shows up when phosphates are low not high.

That has not been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
Tank is 2.6g Fluval Spec 3.
Substrate is Fluval stratum.
Plants are stem plants and a java fern. Removing A R tomorrow. Light is standard light that came with kit on 1 hour in am and 6 hrs in pm. I dose .50ml Thrive once a week.
Weekly water changes.
Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates around 20 or less.

What do you think I need to do to balance this tank??

From the picture, itís looks like you need to up your dosing. Algae thrives when nutrient levels are low. Id start by dosing twice a week for a few weeks and see where that gets you. As for the algae, if itís green let it build up for a couple weeks. Then scrape it all off and do a big water change.

Just a noob

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
From the picture, itís looks like you need to up your dosing. Algae thrives when nutrient levels are low. Id start by dosing twice a week for a few weeks and see where that gets you.
I would agree with that. Furthermore some of the leaves lookalike they have a hooked leaf tip. This is a common symptom of calcium deficiency. Most fertilizers don't have calcium. I would get a GH and KH test kit and test your water hardness. Then increase the hardness by 2 degrees GH using Sachem Equilibrium. Equilibrium contains Calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, iron, and manganese. Plants need all of these. But it doesn't have all the other nutrients plants need. A good fertile like thrive (available at Nilocg.com) would take care off the remaining nutrients.

When plants have all the nutrients they need to grow algae Tends to grow very slowly. Slow enough that one or two nerits should be able to keep most of the glass clean. Hair algae is good indication of very low nutrient levels in the water. GSA (hard green spot algae) is typically in indication of low phosphate levels in the tank. neuritis cannot remove GSAas rock because it is as hard as rock. Thrive should provide enough phosphate to prevent GSA. It is hard to tell but I think you have green slime algae on the glass. nerits would easily be able to remove it.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The algae easily wipes off, I do it all the time with a sponge made for that. I use Thrive, 1 dose of .50ml once per week.
The a reneckii is now gone so I'll be only feeding the ludwigia, a few val and the java fern for now. I plan on adding more plants once I decide what to do in there. I'm against the nerite because I have the puffer who is aggressive towards snails.
I'll get my KH and GH numbers later today.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
The algae easily wipes off
If that's the case then it's likely GDA (green dust algae). GSA (green spot algae) is really hard and generally requires a razor blade to remove from the glass.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would add in some floating plants. They'll reduce the light without you having to shorten the light period. That should help with algae. They will also let you assess the nutrients better, as they have free access to CO2 in the atmosphere and the light at the top of the tank, you can use them to judge your fert dosing. If they do well you know you have it right, if they look a bit sad you know you need to add a bit more ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode