Nano tanks in compact spaces - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano tanks in compact spaces

Hi!

I plan on setting up a nano planted tank of around ~2.6 to 5 gallons as a desktop tank in my dorm. I want a rimless cube style to allow it to have a minimal footprint. So far, I've found Fluval's line of specs, but the V (my ideal size) is a little too big for my desk. I noticed the footprint of the iii is small enough, but I'm a little concerned about the water volume. I am on a budget, so if there are any 5gal cubes in that range, that would be perfect.

The pros of the spec include the integrated sump which I can use as a filter and place to store the heater though. I also plan on upgrading the lights to something like a Finnex Fugeray Planted in order to grow some plants, but this wouldn't fit on the spec iii. I plan on running the tank high-tech, so a light upgrade would be necessary. Any recommendations?

Finally, how can I organize this tank in a compact space? Where can I hide the CO2 tanks? I don't want an extra mess of cords and junk on my desk. If I don't go with a spec, where how can I fit the (hob?) filter and heater and everything in the tank? Space is my #1 concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:19 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Some options

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-tanks.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium...um-stands.html

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:37 AM
Planted Member

ADA makes some nice small rimless 2.5 cubes for about $20 (at least where i live). i dont know much about co2 in small tanks. wouldnt even 1 bps be an overload for such a small water volume?

Sometimes you just need a little more cake.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

https://www.petsmart.com/featured-br...l?cgid=5000270

I have one (and the Spec V). Not bad for what it is. Kind of a lower-end Spec. Not ADA quality but meets a lot of your criteria - inexpensive, 5 gallon, smaller footprint than the Spec, all-in-one. The light is OK. About 30 PAR to bottom. BUT it doesn't turn on/off with a switch and uses the same DC adapter for both pump and light. More here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...llon-mods.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Depending on where you live, those TruAqua tanks someone linked above are also made by AquaTop.. both seem to be same exact tanks.. they are priced high on those websites, but if you have a local fish shop that can order them.. The HCC-8 is really sold for like $25 - $30. My LFS have them for $20. I have 2 right now.. nice little 2.1g. You can get the HCC-10 or 12 if you wanna up the gallons. $30 - $40 respectively.

Here's how my HCC-8's are setup. Using Azoo Mignon 60 filters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180317_205916_440_1522219710490.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	841169  

Current - 2 x 20cm rimless, starphire cubes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- shutdown, unfortunately.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

This thread seemed weirdly specific to me, I lived in a trailer for a couple years and ran a 3g nano to keep my sanity.

Best setup I found was to buy a small rimless cube then get a shelf/corner table that perfectly fits the tank and had a small bit of storage underneath. I used a HOB as I had trouble finding a canister filter that worked well w a 3g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode