Fluval Spec and CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Fluval Spec and CO2?

Hello everyone. I used to be a member here under a different name (keithjfuller), but I can't seem to access my account no matter what I do, so I started a new one.

About 6 years ago I made my first planted tank, and this site was a huge help. I moved from the US to the UK about 4 years ago, so I had to sell all my tanks and equipment, which means I now have NOTHING - sad...

My wife and I recently had out first daughter, and we thought that it would be great for her to have a small tank in her room (she's nearly 2 now). I've looked into a lot of different options, but I think something like the Fluval Spec would suit her well.

My old tanks were much larger, and I scraped by with liquid CO2 and the homemade yeast one, but it was to much work for inconsistent/poor results - and I'm not going through it again. I swore that the next tank I did would be the real deal with CO2 (not the disposable bottles).

I know this is a tiny tank, and it probably/absolutely doesn't need it. I also know that I will probably have to upgrade my light if I go that route, but I'm going to do it either way! Part of the reason is that my wife and I eventually want to get a larger "real" one for the house, and I want to get familiar with using a CO2 system beforehand.

So, I've searched the forum, and a lot of the info on this is sparse and not totally what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations or any experience with this sort of setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 04:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2focus View Post
Hello everyone. I used to be a member here under a different name (keithjfuller), but I can't seem to access my account no matter what I do, so I started a new one.

About 6 years ago I made my first planted tank, and this site was a huge help. I moved from the US to the UK about 4 years ago, so I had to sell all my tanks and equipment, which means I now have NOTHING - sad...

My wife and I recently had out first daughter, and we thought that it would be great for her to have a small tank in her room (she's nearly 2 now). I've looked into a lot of different options, but I think something like the Fluval Spec would suit her well.

My old tanks were much larger, and I scraped by with liquid CO2 and the homemade yeast one, but it was to much work for inconsistent/poor results - and I'm not going through it again. I swore that the next tank I did would be the real deal with CO2 (not the disposable bottles).

I know this is a tiny tank, and it probably/absolutely doesn't need it. I also know that I will probably have to upgrade my light if I go that route, but I'm going to do it either way! Part of the reason is that my wife and I eventually want to get a larger "real" one for the house, and I want to get familiar with using a CO2 system beforehand.

So, I've searched the forum, and a lot of the info on this is sparse and not totally what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations or any experience with this sort of setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome back & congrats with the little one! I have used co2 in a Spec III. I used a Intense/Atomic paintball tank regulator with solenoid and an Intense/Atomic atomizer. I ran the atomizer into the back compartment where the pump is. I put the atomizer right next to the pump intake so that the co2 bubbles would be sucked into the pump and then blown into the tank. I was able to get my drop checker to turn a nice green at 1 bubble of co2 every 2 - 3 seconds. I also upgraded the light and increased dosing of ferts and testing of water. Plants definitely appreciated it more than excel. A 24 oz paintball tank lasts me 5 - 6 months and it is a small setup so it is easy to keep out of the way. If you think that you are going to go much bigger in the future, say above 15 gal, I would probably go with a full size regulator and get an adapter for using it on a paintball tank until you get a larger tank and then a larger co2 tank, but there is no reason you couldn't go all in and get a full size regulator and a 5, 10 or 20 # co2 tank and use it for the spec. If you decide to go with a paintball regulator, GLA has a nice one with a good needle valve(important imo). The reg I am using does not seem to be available for sale in the US anymore. The Aquatek paintball reg seems to be very hit or miss. Some like it, some hate it, most agree the needle valve is less than good. I have seen some paintball regs that are like the GLA one but have a Camozzi or SMC needle valves. I would probably try those before the Aquatek and the GLA just because of cost. It all depends on what kind of budget you have.Hope this all makes sense. feel free to pm me if you have any ?'s
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
For CO2 I am using the UNS single stage regulator with built in solenoid. I got it at Buceplant.com. It is working out very nicely and I can use it with regular CO2 cartridges. I don't have a lot of space so a 20 or 24oz canister will not work for me. I have to change them out every 3 to 4 weeks but I can get them for 5 for 25 on eBay so it's not too bad. I am currently using 45g cartridges so if I went to 90g cartridges it would be about $17 for about 3 months (two cartridges for $17).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks sharkbunnie and jmontee.

I ended up going with the Flex (my wife wanted something a little larger), and a CO2Art system with a fire extinguisher as a canister.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode