Easy setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Easy setup

Hi Everybody,

I've been keeping a planted tank for a couple of years already, but always started to develop troubles 4-6 months after setup. Now my tank is in a terrible state. I even think that a new kind of life might develop in there

So here I just wanted to ask for advice on how to set up a balanced aquarium with plants and fish. I already have this equipment:
  • 5G Fluval Tank
  • Canister filter
  • CO2 supply
  • Inline heater
  • Inline UV sterilizer
  • Reverse Osmosis + Softened water
  • LED light

My gravel is 3 years old and is probably depleted and full of all kinds of algae. Also have lava rocks.

I'd appreciate if you could recommend a plants + fish that would work with the small tank and the equipment I have.

Thanks in advance,
Ruben

P.S. The flow rate of the canister filter is significantly reduced by means of inline heater, sterilizer and reduced pipe diameter.

P.S.S. Also, was thinking to order the plants online. Any recommendation on that? http://www.aquariumplants.com/ ? or https://www.liveaquaria.com ?

- Ruben

Last edited by rubenhak; 03-02-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added pss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As far as fertilization and water quality maintenance concerned I have the following:
  • Seachem Equilibrium
  • Seachem PhosGuard
  • Iron
  • Seachemn Flourish
  • Seachem Flourish excel

and some raw materials. few years back I got then mixed into two kinds of mixtures. Now dont even remember the exact purpose :
  • Potassium Nitrate
  • Potassium Sulfate
  • Monopotassium Phosphate
  • Magnesium Sulfate
  • Nutritrace CSM+B

- Ruben
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Honestly you're more than prepared to set up a decent tank. For ferts in my low tech tank I use:

Macros:
KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
KH2PO4 (monopotassium nitrate)

Micros:
Thrive shrimp
EZ green

Swapped from EZ green although sometimes I use it since it has less nitrates than thrive. Tanks are all about personal preference, for 5g you're limited by stocking but you could do a showpiece betta or a small school of one of the smaller tetras. You could also turn it into a shrimp haven. Just find plants you like and get those, I suggest the marketplace section of these forums if you're looking for plants.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Honestly you're more than prepared to set up a decent tank. For ferts in my low tech tank I use:

Macros:
KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
KH2PO4 (monopotassium nitrate)

Micros:
Thrive shrimp
EZ green

Swapped from EZ green although sometimes I use it since it has less nitrates than thrive. Tanks are all about personal preference, for 5g you're limited by stocking but you could do a showpiece betta or a small school of one of the smaller tetras. You could also turn it into a shrimp haven. Just find plants you like and get those, I suggest the marketplace section of these forums if you're looking for plants.
How about in terms of compatibility of plants? I like Clover Four Leaves. Which other plants would go well with them?

- Ruben
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm now cycling the aquarium with 20% vinegar solution. Just to be sure the pipes, filter and other components are clean. Decided to get new substrate and start all clean.

- Ruben
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenhak View Post
I'm now cycling the aquarium with 20% vinegar solution. Just to be sure the pipes, filter and other components are clean. Decided to get new substrate and start all clean.
Could you explain the vinegar cycling? Marsilea quadrifolia would probably work, maybe has a midground plant with some dragon stone?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Could you explain the vinegar cycling? Marsilea quadrifolia would probably work, maybe has a midground plant with some dragon stone?
I just dumped everything from the tank, filled it with 80% water, 20% vinegar and turned on the filter.

- Ruben
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I just dumped everything from the tank, filled it with 80% water, 20% vinegar and turned on the filter.
To clean it? That's probably unnecessary but decide what kind of look you want for your tank and go from there. A balanced tank requires some work but it's not that much work.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
To clean it? That's probably unnecessary but decide what kind of look you want for your tank and go from there. A balanced tank requires some work but it's not that much work.
Yes, to clean it. I'm starting to realize that 6 Gallons are not enough. Maybe I will upgrade to either 30 gal or 55 gal tank. Depending on if I get extra cabinet or not. I already have tons of stuff that I can utilize for the larger tank.

- Ruben
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wink Day 1

Finally got all the plants. Maybe got too much of them. Time will show

Couldn't find place for glossostigmas on the substrate so I glued it to seiryu stones. Will it grow or it has to be on a substrate? Hope this would reduce chances of algae growth on the stones since they are much higher and receive more light.

The inline CO2 diffuser causes lots of mist in the water. I'm running around 0.75 bubbles per second. What's the best way to get rid of the mist so that the water is clear?

Any fertilization schedule you would recommend? How long to keep the photoperiod?

Front:

Side:

Top:

Equipment:

- Ruben
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And yes, completely forgot. How about cycling the aquarium? Can I get it cycled without fish? Would the plants produce enough ammonia for the cycle to start?
Can I get shrimps instead?

- Ruben
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
And yes, completely forgot. How about cycling the aquarium? Can I get it cycled without fish? Would the plants produce enough ammonia for the cycle to start?
Can I get shrimps instead?
Plants will actually take ammonia put of the water as they consume it. You can do a fishless cycle by adding small quantities of fish food or surfactant free ammonia.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
nano tank steup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode