Canister for 7.5 Cube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Canister for 7.5 Cube?

Hello,

Just another suggestion thread. Long story short ordered a 7.5G for a bee setup soon. Which canister filter/filter would you recommend for this tank? I was thinking of buying another 2213 or replacing the 2213 in my 20 and upgrade to an 2215. Really love the 2213 its super silent in my room and keeps the water extremely clear. Would the flow be too much?

-no budget, but also considering a sun sun 603b..seems like hit and miss.
-HOB to save space
-adding in fissiden and cuba or monte foreground

Also a little random, does anyone know how or which sponge filter would attach to a canister filter without any mods to the intake?

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +

Last edited by ILikeRice; 02-19-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I am liking what the Sunsun have done for me on 75 and 20 gallons but I am not too high on the 603B. Not tried it but not at all sure it would be enough to bother with using. Since you are into the Ehiem and there is nothing too wrong with them, the idea of the filter swap might be a good way to go. But I also keep in mind that cutting flow is often very easy. simple to close an output valve a bit to do it if nothing else. No way it harms motors, etc. or we would have lots of burned out motors from clogged tubes, etc.? Not much wiring there and it is hard to burn much of anything when the power used is so low as 30-40 watt.
For the sponge, I like to just buy sponge and cut it so that it fits over the intake. I do find that the pore size has to be somewhat special to avoid clogging too soon. The sponges made for Aquaclear HOB seem to be better than others, I have tried.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Finnex PX-360 is an option "in between". I liked them even more when they were around $35. The caveat with them is that they should be placed no more then 1' below the tank. Otherwise, they give you a lot of options.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I am liking what the Sunsun have done for me on 75 and 20 gallons but I am not too high on the 603B. Not tried it but not at all sure it would be enough to bother with using. Since you are into the Ehiem and there is nothing too wrong with them, the idea of the filter swap might be a good way to go. But I also keep in mind that cutting flow is often very easy. simple to close an output valve a bit to do it if nothing else. No way it harms motors, etc. or we would have lots of burned out motors from clogged tubes, etc.? Not much wiring there and it is hard to burn much of anything when the power used is so low as 30-40 watt.
For the sponge, I like to just buy sponge and cut it so that it fits over the intake. I do find that the pore size has to be somewhat special to avoid clogging too soon. The sponges made for Aquaclear HOB seem to be better than others, I have tried.
Honestly may go with another eheim. Havent had any problems with it and its really convenient to use when it comes to maintenance and adding media. I planned on using the air sponge filter and connecting directly to the inlet which may not even work. I believe the pore size is between 30-45 for shrimp keeping :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Finnex PX-360 is an option "in between". I liked them even more when they were around $35. The caveat with them is that they should be placed no more then 1' below the tank. Otherwise, they give you a lot of options.
Seems good for $50 rated at 95 GPH which is really overkill..need to do some more research before buying anything since there is maintenance hassle with this one

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I keep saying that there is nothing really wrong with the old Classic (2211 to 2217) Eheim line but then when I get down to buying again, I begin to see some things that drive my buying to the Sunsun. Part is price but the bigger factors are the small points that I've grown to like and some of those small points do vary on the different sizes of Classic. I'm spoiled enough to want nice, easy working cutoff and disconnects. The Sunsun has a newer design which requires flipping a lever to cut flow on both tubes and then a single large button to release the block holding both. Just fits me far better than the double tap disconnect and then unscrew two fitting and pull them apart.
Second is the media trays which control the hard media without me having to "invent" some way like bags to hold the media.
Throw in the surface skimmers included on the larger models as well as a major price difference in replacements that do wear out and the Sunsun has taken my attention. Unfortunately it comes down like this to me. I loved the old 69 Ford and it was a tank to last forever but given a car with no power windows, locks, etc. versus the newer models and I have to say I would not want to drive a 69 again! And the Classic line is somewhere near the same age, as the 69. A good filter, possibly great, but really lacking many of the new features.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I keep saying that there is nothing really wrong with the old Classic (2211 to 2217) Eheim line but then when I get down to buying again, I begin to see some things that drive my buying to the Sunsun. Part is price but the bigger factors are the small points that I've grown to like and some of those small points do vary on the different sizes of Classic. I'm spoiled enough to want nice, easy working cutoff and disconnects. The Sunsun has a newer design which requires flipping a lever to cut flow on both tubes and then a single large button to release the block holding both. Just fits me far better than the double tap disconnect and then unscrew two fitting and pull them apart.
Second is the media trays which control the hard media without me having to "invent" some way like bags to hold the media.
Throw in the surface skimmers included on the larger models as well as a major price difference in replacements that do wear out and the Sunsun has taken my attention. Unfortunately it comes down like this to me. I loved the old 69 Ford and it was a tank to last forever but given a car with no power windows, locks, etc. versus the newer models and I have to say I would not want to drive a 69 again! And the Classic line is somewhere near the same age, as the 69. A good filter, possibly great, but really lacking many of the new features.
Which sun sun model do you have btw? I'll do some more in depth research before buying the last piece I need for this tank. Your words bring me curiosity to what the newer model canisters bring.

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:02 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRice View Post
Seems good for $50 rated at 95 GPH which is really overkill..need to do some more research before buying anything since there is maintenance hassle with this one
Not trying to push anything here, just to make you aware of other options.

As much as I like Eheims, The Classic models like 2213 (?) with not even a basket for media take me longer to service (I have 2). At least the 2215 has a pull out basket to make it easier (I have 1). And I am certainly fine with the old disconnects - they make routing the hoses through holes in the stand so much easier. Routing double disconnects on Pro models (and I have like 7 of them and love them) can be a real pain, based on the filter location.

I run 2 x Finnex 360 on a 12g long. They are basically a glorified HOB with a basket with 2 compartments. And they are small and light. Cleaning one would take me maybe 15-20 mins, about once a month.

In the end, we pick our own poison :-)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Not trying to push anything here, just to make you aware of other options.

As much as I like Eheims, The Classic models like 2213 (?) with not even a basket for media take me longer to service (I have 2). At least the 2215 has a pull out basket to make it easier (I have 1). And I am certainly fine with the old disconnects - they make routing the hoses through holes in the stand so much easier. Routing double disconnects on Pro models (and I have like 7 of them and love them) can be a real pain, based on the filter location.

I run 2 x Finnex 360 on a 12g long. They are basically a glorified HOB with a basket with 2 compartments. And they are small and light. Cleaning one would take me maybe 15-20 mins, about once a month.

In the end, we pick our own poison :-)
This is certainly true. We do have to choose things based on what we have. For instance, I had never considered the tubing held in blocks to be a problem. The difference in our view is that I have heat trouble and want to let as much air under the tank as possible so the backs are almost totally open. Never thought of trouble fitting it through holes!

For the current use, I am using the Sunsun HW304B on a 75 gallon and it seems right running through a Grigg's reactor. Not a lot of flow and that is okay for me, as I like to add small powerheads where I find I want more movement. I look at the filter as a stand alone item to do filtering, not to do water movement as I like being more able to choose where and how to place that movement. A filter can only move water from input to outlet while small powerheads are easy to hide here and there in places to "kick" the debris in small steps to get it to the filter. Just different thinking?
On a 20 long, the Sunsun 302 seems right running through a Grigg's here also. I also have one of the little $7 powerheads tucked behind rocks with Java fern. I like to keep them waving to avoid dirt that gets kicked up from landing on the leaves. With a fair amount of dirt mixed in with other types of sub my little diggers can almost hide a plant that's not shaking and moving! But I don't want a big flow to keep that in the air or dig holes.
A search of the auction for
Circulation Pump Wavemaker 530 GPH Aquarium Reef Powerhead Suction Cup Mount
should find the small pumps and this particular seller seems to be a steady contender for best price and service as he ships from Milwaukee. Shop carefully as there are many sellers but not all include the same small items like media. I now shop this guy first and think look to see if I can beat his price but he is winning lots of my buys.
Small point on the 302 on a short tank like a 20 long is that the intake plastic is too tall so I cut a few inches off the bottom before adding the screened section. small tanks were not really set for canisters, apparently.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

Just chipping in with my experience, I bought a sunsun 603b for my 10 gallon tank and the flow is pitiful. I ended up replacing it with an AC50 for the same price and magnitudes higher flow. The 603b now resides on my 5.5 fry tank but I will be supplementing it with an airstone to break up the surface a bit. Getting a bigger canister or HOB and throttling the flow if necessary will give you much greater flexibility.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Gonna try out the 302b for the 7.5cube and keeping the 2213 in the 20 since its cycled and I have multiple berried females. Good idea? Also getting a 12in fudgeray ^^

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would go for HOB or Sunsun. Eheims are overpriced for what they are offering, the classic version doesnt have sponges, no valves neither hand pump.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:15 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Classics do have sponges and they do have disconnects (valves) and they provide decades of service. Fill 'er up and plug 'er in.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Amazon sent me the 603b instead of 302b. Contacted chat support immediately and they fully refunded me right away while also stating I did not need to return the canister. Also had good service with sl aqua and bulkreefsupply. Highly recommended buying from them.

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Should I do a journal? Got everything but one item..cant start the cycle without my cholla wood

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +

Last edited by ILikeRice; 07-09-2018 at 02:45 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode