2Likes
  • 2 Post By York1
  • 2 Post By Barry Mundy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fluval spec 16

So picked up one of these this weekend at my LFS. Its a 16 gallon spec. Has anyone else seen one? I can not find anything online about them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is a pic of it. Ignore the mess it was just setup and i may have had a few drinks before setting it up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_192504.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	830546  

theDCpump and theDCpump like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I haven't seen this model before. Looks like a nice aquarium though. Is that hood fairly tight on it?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks really close to the Fluval Evo 13.5 for saltwater. I can't find anything else besides the fluval spec V.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavangel View Post
Looks really close to the Fluval Evo 13.5 for saltwater. I can't find anything else besides the fluval spec V.
It is the same as the evo only 2 1/2 inches taller

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

Just picked one up from my LFS

I can't keep algae alive.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, this is the size I've been looking for (I don't want anything smaller than 10, 15 is perfect) but I haven't seen or heard of this before. I know two different Petcos didn't have it as of today as I was asking them about the Edge 12 and they ran down their list of Fluvals they had in stock...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
Wow, this is the size I've been looking for (I don't want anything smaller than 10, 15 is perfect) but I haven't seen or heard of this before. I know two different Petcos didn't have it as of today as I was asking them about the Edge 12 and they ran down their list of Fluvals they had in stock...
I have not seen it at any of the big box pet stores or online. I know a few small LFS here in GA had some. Seems really hit and miss on finding them right now.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
Here you go and free shipping on top of it! This tank does look awesome but not much detail on here as to the power of the LED's. I know my Spec V is growing things really well with the stock light and CO2 with liquid ferts.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/sp...hoCctoQAvD_BwE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Algae Grower

Here’s good ol’ Pecktec unboxing one on YouTube

https://youtu.be/RWyZKJsJQcM
theDCpump and theDCpump like this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:59 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for that video. This thing looks great, just a little pricey for a small shrimp tank I'm setting up....but it would look tons better than my cheapo 10-gallon and being able to hide the filter inflow and heater is awesome. Hopefully this would be quieter than the old aquaclear I'm currently using (needs a new impeller shaft I think, I lubed it already with minimal results). Rather than spending more $ on that maybe I'll just go for this and call it a day. I have a gift card from amazon burning a hole in my account so hopefully this makes it there soon! I'm a bit torn on something like this vs a cube lidless with a branch or two above the water, this certainly would be more convenient and "safe" (my cat has already gotten up to the 10 gallon for a drink...)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

'Looks like a nice option.

Pump noise and cleaning:
As for the pump suctioned to the bottom, there is a good way to help with issues of noise and pulling it back out.
In larger sumps, they rest the pump on silicone cooking pads as well as have the pump connected to food grade silicone tubing that attaches to the main return water pipework.

In this application of nano tanks, you can place really-really coarse foam beneath and around the tank's return pump.

The subject of sump chamber mulm and dead materials:
- with a few mm of space below the pump/sponge, a riser (upside-down crown) made of just about anything aquarium safe can be a good start.
- a few mm of space is lost in a tall chamber, but the accessibility of the pump is there for maintaining a clean chamber and more.
- vibrations from the pump are drowned out by the surrounding DIY jacket of foam around the pump.
- if your really creative, you can get the pump to actually hover off the bottom, squished lightly with the jacket of foam.

Enjoy.

Post note LED light.
True lumen has some ultra flats 10 inch strips that have a gorgeous color hue to them that may fit in the hood space.

Model 1635 TrueLumen LED Strip, Rose Red/12K White 2 - Rose Red LEDs 2 - 12000K White LEDs 10"x0.5"x0.1"
Model 1634 TrueLumen LED Strip, Rose Red 4 - Rose Red LEDs 10"x0.5"x0.1"

They have an inline dimmer too.

Last edited by theDCpump; 03-11-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Extra Lights for a color option.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

What is the actual dimensions of the tank? I can find the numbers, but nobody is saying which number is which. Is the height 17.5 or 11.5?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameRequired View Post
What is the actual dimensions of the tank? I can find the numbers, but nobody is saying which number is which. Is the height 17.5 or 11.5?
15" bottom of glass to top of glass With the hood its probably 17.5

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 AM
Algae Grower

I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with this tank. It's one I'm seriously considering getting for myself. Looking at the pictures it seems the base is smaller than the tank itself. Does it seem well supported and stable?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode