Spec V Ver 2 stock light question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spec V Ver 2 stock light question

I'm interested in buying the newer version of the Spec V and adding co2 and ferts for good plant growth. Will the stock light work for growing med to high light plants? I figured there was no point in setting up a high tech tank if the lights were going to be the limiting factor. In particular, I'd like to grow some HC as a foreground plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It can be done if you have the patience. I had some dwarf hairgrass starting to send out runners after 2-3 weeks if I remember correctly. It'll most likely take some time to really fill in. I got impatient and went ahead and got a 16" planted plus and threw in a pwm dimmer in case I needed to dim lights for algae reasons. I run it full blast now and it's quite a bit brighter than the newer stock fluval LED. I'd say the stock light is more of a medium intesity light after comparing the two.... knowing what my PAR value is with the finnex. If I had to guess, I'd say it's in the 30 PAR range at 12".
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I threw a 24/7 CC on my Spec V. Definitely not running it at maximum.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have more patience than money so I'll give it a try with the stock lights and look at upgrading when budget allows.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Rosy, I am running CO2 (on the lighter side) with liquid ferts, root tabs and the stock light. I am very happy with the set up so far. There is some algae issues, especially on mini Christmas moss so I am thinking about taking it out and replacing with fissidens. This is really not something uncommon though with a new set up and as things grown in it should improve. I am using M Monte Carlo as a carpet plant, I have never had good luck with HC and the MC looks and acts far better for me. Here is the tank from day of planting to about 5 or 6 weeks in.

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nice looking aquascape! Good to hear that the light will still work with what I want. I'll be adding co2 and ferts as well so we'll see how it goes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 AM
Planted Member

I just did a trim but as you can see I'm using the stock lights and it grows all the plants fine, some plants like S. Repens and HC cuba grows a little slow but it grows. I did a trade for some plants and there was a tiny amount of HC Cuba and I tossed it in this tank. I only had the size of a goldfish's eyeball to start out with, I have grown HC cuba years ago but I didn't think this light would grow it but it does. I planted it on Jan 20th 2018 it has at least quadrupled in size since then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good to hear about the HC cuba. That's what I was planning on growing in the foreground. I've also picked out Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini', Fissidens fontanus, Rotala rotundifolia, and Hemianthus micranthemoides. I hope they all turn out ok.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
Rosy, I am running CO2 (on the lighter side) with liquid ferts, root tabs and the stock light. I am very happy with the set up so far. There is some algae issues, especially on mini Christmas moss so I am thinking about taking it out and replacing with fissidens. This is really not something uncommon though with a new set up and as things grown in it should improve. I am using M Monte Carlo as a carpet plant, I have never had good luck with HC and the MC looks and acts far better for me. Here is the tank from day of planting to about 5 or 6 weeks in.
I'm thinking of doing a similar setup. Are you using the stock light? Also, what is your CO2 setup? Thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2focus View Post
I'm thinking of doing a similar setup. Are you using the stock light? Also, what is your CO2 setup? Thanks.
I am using the stock light at this point. As for CO2 I am using the UNS single stage regulator with built in solenoid. I got it at Buceplant.com. It is working out very nicely and I can use it with regular CO2 cartridges. I don't have a lot of space so a 20 or 24oz canister will not work for me. I have to change them out every 3 to 4 weeks but I can get them for 5 for 25 on eBay so it's not too bad. I am currently using 45g cartridges so if I went to 90g cartridges it would be about $17 for about 3 months (two cartridges for $17).
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
I am using the stock light at this point. As for CO2 I am using the UNS single stage regulator with built in solenoid. I got it at Buceplant.com. It is working out very nicely and I can use it with regular CO2 cartridges. I don't have a lot of space so a 20 or 24oz canister will not work for me. I have to change them out every 3 to 4 weeks but I can get them for 5 for 25 on eBay so it's not too bad. I am currently using 45g cartridges so if I went to 90g cartridges it would be about $17 for about 3 months (two cartridges for $17).
Thanks for your reply. I'm considering the same setup, so I'm just trying to see what people do with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode