Cherry Shrimp Issues - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cherry Shrimp Issues

I ordered cherry shrimp about two weeks ago. Everything was fine until about a week ago when a cherry died randomly. Today another larger cherry shrimp died. At this point I only have young shrimp remaining. My water is testing perfect and my temp is about 76. Why would the young shrimp be fine but the larger shrimp die off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

That's exactly what happens.... Young shrimp adjust to new parameters better than adult shrimp. All shrimp do not like change, I always buy more than I need anticipating there will be some that just don't make it, regardless of how pristine my water is. Don't sweat it. If your water is truly perfect, it's just what happened with new shrimp a lot of the time
FishRFriendz and FishRFriendz like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
That's exactly what happens....
I set a tank up years ago with Amano Shrimp, and out of 6, only three made it past the first week. Those three are still alive.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Out of the 25 I started with, I lost some elder shrimp to them not adjusting to the change of venue, and my betta snagged a few more. Now I have all the small ones that survived and are now fully sized and breeding.

My tank journal.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
What is perfect? How old is the tank?
aotf and aotf like this.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:45 AM
Planted Member

pH/gH/kH/TDS/temp/ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/how old is the tank plz
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotf View Post
pH/gH/kH/TDS/temp/ammonia/nitrites/nitrates/how old is the tank plz

Tank is about 5 months old.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
temp is 76
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

KH and GH?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

If your GH is very low the shrimp will not be able to molt and will die off one by one. YOU want a minimum GH of 3. I am not sure what the upper limit is but I would guess it would be 10.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
If your GH is very low the shrimp will not be able to molt and will die off one by one. YOU want a minimum GH of 3. I am not sure what the upper limit is but I would guess it would be 10.
I think a little higher is better and I see the upper limit at different points from 10-15. Personally mine are at GH 8 and no molting issues or strange deaths that I can contribute to bad molts.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 03:45 AM

I am really concerned about this thing on my shrimp tank glass . Plz shed light!!! Tiny black larve like things with two eyes. Not swimming but if i touch them they shift very fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180218_082437_1518929033875.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	830314  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatema View Post
I am really concerned about this thing on my shrimp tank glass . Plz shed light!!! Tiny black larve like things with two eyes. Not swimming but if i touch them they shift very fast.
Hard to see clearly, but maybe mosquito larvae?

My tank journal.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:22 AM

Hey thanks! Did quite a lot of digging and finally concluded its accidental zebra danios breeding. I m sure bout it upto 95%, rest 5 % will ?now soon......
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
That's exactly what happens.... Young shrimp adjust to new parameters better than adult shrimp. All shrimp do not like change, I always buy more than I need anticipating there will be some that just don't make it, regardless of how pristine my water is. Don't sweat it. If your water is truly perfect, it's just what happened with new shrimp a lot of the time

I sell shrimp and itís annoying when I periodically get asked if I would sell adult berried shrimp. Thatís like asking me to give a death sentence to a pregnant shrimp... because someone is too cheap and impatient to buy a regular group of shrimp and keep them alive for a mere 2 months.

Through selling shrimp and getting feedback on which shrimp died in shipping, I know this is 100% true. Adult shrimp do not adjust as readily to new environments.

So I ship only juveniles now. I used to ship a mix, but ultimately Iíd rather my pets live than die in a strangersí tank.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFresh View Post
Tank is about 5 months old.

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ppm
temp is 76

What you have looks good although as Nubster pointed out, kH and gH are very important when raising shrimp.
gH will help you figure out if they are having molting problems (gH 6-10 is usually a good range to sit in) while kH will help stabilize your water against pH shifts (kH 3-5 is a pretty good range).

That said, LFS shrimp tend to be a little more fragile than homebred. There's a good chance they were imported from overseas, which adds a lot of stress, and even if they weren't, most LFS don't have shrimp-specific parameters so the shrimp have been accumulating stress there as well. Finally, they are purchased and moved to another tank with potentially different water parameters. After all that, some of them just don't make it.
Keep an eye on the juveniles and get a kH and gH test kit (a $15 TDS meter will help you in the long term as well). If you continue to see deaths, report back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode