• 2 Post By tamsin
  • 2 Post By SueD
  • 2 Post By PoPoBTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advice on which how to stock 50 nano

Hi all!
I know a nano is usually small, but.. I have a 50 gallon I want to plant and the way I want to scape it would be best suitable for slow moving fish. Or fish that aren't easily spooked and won't dart around the tank like they are on speed.

But, that is where I come to you guys for help. I need some ideas, help really, on which fish to go with. I want to be able to do as much research about the types of fish as possible, way before I even begin to set it up or plant it, so that I can change the plans if I need to.

I am not able to start it in until the end of March to the middle of April, so I am just window shopping right now to get an idea of how I should scape it for the type of fish I will stock it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 PM
Planted Member

Hello
This seems like you potentially have an endless amount of different stocking options. Is there any certain fish or type of fish that you want? I have a 50 gallon myself that is planted pretty well. I have otos bamboo shrimp bloodynose tetra bolivian rams ramshorn snails and am getting some peacock gudgeons. If there is a certain fish you definitely want it would be easier to help you out
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

That is the million dollar question. I have been asking myself that since I started dreaming this plan up, I am torn between a lot of one type of schooling fish and a community tank. Then I moved to a betta sorority, not sure how they woud do in a 50 or if I could put any other fish in with them(have only ever had single males in 10s). I really enjoy watching tetras. I have had dwarf gourami? before.
I was also thinking about rasboras or some kuhil loach. Maybe a dwarf pea puffer, if they aren't really aggressive. I was also wanting cherry shrimp or something like it. I am considering a bamboo, they are gorgeous.

I thought about tiger barbs, as well.

I am stuck on the idea of smallish, slow, calm fish, so I don't have a high risk of them injuring themselves on any rocks or exposed wood, or bulldozing the plants that I will have spent the most time on. And friendly fish if I decide to go with a community tank.

But, I am really open to any and all types of buddies to go in the 50, as I am planning on it being my only tank for a really long time.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Planted Member

I think this thread shouldn't be in the nano section... it's a different animal working in a larger tank compared to a nano...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Planted Member

Nano fish, not hyper, non-destructive to scape: Chili Rasboras? Celestial Pearl Danios? Glowlight Tetras? (Pretty standard suggestions for nano-by-volume tanks.). Whitecloud minnows, perhaps, though they’re more active. Apistogrammas aren’t too boisterous, if that fits your image. Pearl gouramis are a bit bigger than nano, but typically calm and ‘relaxed’ in their swimming.

Mystery snails, shrimp of your choice, pygmy corydoras are good additions, too.

So not a nano tank per gallons, but nano fish - the Rachel O’Leary nano tank. Perhaps not the best fit in this section, as said, but good luck in the stocking anyway!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
So not a nano tank per gallons, but nano fish - the Rachel O’Leary nano tank. Perhaps not the best fit in this section, as said, but good luck in the stocking anyway!
Rachel O'Leary's channel on youtube would be a good place to start - she has species spotlights on a lot of nano fish with some good video and basic details on how they behave/get along. See what takes your fancy.

You could fit a couple of nice size schools of nano size fish - sort of half way between a community and single species. That's the benefit of small fish in a big tank. They'd also play well with small shrimp as they have smaller mouths.
PoPoBTC and PoPoBTC like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Glowlight tetras, Apistos, and Corries are all good. Definitely check out Rachel O'Leary's video on her 75 gallon nano tank.

RAOK Club #55
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I will go check out her youtube.

I do realize that this probably wasn't the best section to post my question in, but I was hoping to ask the largest group of people with experience in small so I could weigh the pros and cons of different species and possibly scapes.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once you've found a few you like the look of it will be easier to answer - there are just so many possible options! Personally I would look for something that hangs out near the bottom and something for the middle as a start.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm curious about what is in your planned scape that you feel might injure some inhabitants.

A single angelfish might be an elegant focus in a tank, and would not have a fast, spastic movement. They're pretty friendly, too. Paired with one large or two smaller schools of tetras and some cories on the bottom might work well. Bentosi or Hy511 tetras would be one suggestion. I find mine to be rather calm, especially when compared to something like my diamond tetras which are nutso when feeding. Glowlight or rummy nose tetras are other suggestions. As for cories, well, there's just too many to choose from and I like so many of them. Sterbai are good for tanks where the temp is a little higher.
PoPoBTC and PoPoBTC like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I'm curious about what is in your planned scape that you feel might injure some inhabitants.
I am also curious. We don't want to recommend Pygme cory then come to find out you covered your entire tank bottom in lava rock.

If you are looking for nano fish and nano plant selection I would say that qualifies your tank as a nano tank. Just because your tank size isn't small doesn't mean we can't give you advise if you are looking for nano inhabitants.
reddhawkk and reddhawkk like this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Planted Member

I have a combo of BDBS and black lava rock as substrate. I have 6 healthy, wiggly, fat pygmy cories with good long barbels. They root around in the sand and all throughout the rock. I watched them closely for a month, worried about their bellies and barbels. No issues at all. I couldn’t say the same for pumice or other much sharper rockwork, never tried. Garden variety lava rock and BDBS are all good.
These are fun fish, and I look forward to adding several more, to see larger group behaviors.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode