Yet another cyclops in planted shrimp tank thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yet another cyclops in planted shrimp tank thread

Hi, I just wanted to find out if I have any options other than putting a fish in to get rid of cyclops. I think they hitchhiked on some floaters... Now they are multiplying like nuts even though I have not fed the 16 shrimp in my 5 gallon planted nano in a couple weeks (there's still plenty of algae).

It's got so bad that now I've got an outbreak of hydra just when my shrimps are getting berried.

Another question is, as the shrimp numbers go up and algae go down, will the cyclops disappear, or will they out compete my shrimp-lets for food? I'm dosing some panacur soon to get rid of the hydras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Copepods are fine. They are harmless and generally regarded as being a good thing to have. They are part of the clean up crew and usually a sign of a healthy tank. Hydra on the other hand...they can certainly be harmful to shrimp...especially the smaller ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Guppy fry is a decent option, but really, no way to get rid of them that I know of that wouldn't also harm the shrimp. Also, hydra hitchhike too, and they would reproduce regardless of algae or anything else (in fact, they will feed on the cyclops). You will need to take care of those using batel nut extract based products like No Planaria or Zero Planaria, or you'll have to use fenbendazole. Either of those will hurt snails, so remove any nerites or any other snails you'd like to keep

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh thanks for the tip about the nerites. I'll be sure to remove the single olive that I have when I dose the fenbendazole. So I guess the cyclops will go away once the excess algae is consumed? I've got hundreds (maybe a thousand?) that I can see on my glass.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode