Fluval Spec V - the sound of the pump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec V - the sound of the pump

Hi all:

Alas, I set up a Fluval Spec V in the bedroom today.

I don't like the sound of the humming of the pump - it'll probably keep me up. I thought maybe it was the position of the pump, so I tried moving it a bit, but no such luck.

I might have to either:

A. turn off the pump at night and back on in the morning - via timer
B. find out if there's a super duper silent pump replacement out there
C. Get an internal filter, which I know of one that is super quiet - no hum, nothing.

Any suggestions folks?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahhh, a sound like that puts me to sleep. My wife and I actually have a white noise machine running while we sleep.

Have you tried repositioning it?

Or - try wrapping 1 or more small rubber bands around it where ever the pump is vibrating on the walls of the pump area?

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I don't think there's much room to reposition it - the compartment seem small as it is...do you mean to reorient the pump itself? Ie. Rotate it.

I like the rubber band idea...will try that.

Argh...went to pull up the pump and one of the suctions got disconnected from the pump, and is sucked down on the glass. How the heck am I suppose to get that out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
Ahhh, a sound like that puts me to sleep. My wife and I actually have a white noise machine running while we sleep.

Have you tried repositioning it?

Or - try wrapping 1 or more small rubber bands around it where ever the pump is vibrating on the walls of the pump area?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
That is really interesting. I have the Fluval Spec V and I can't hear the pump even with my ear next to the tank. Maybe just make sure that it is oriented the right way. It is a nice tight fit so not sure that would make a difference but maybe. Also, now that you have it out, make sure that the impeller is perfectly aligned and not slightly touching one of the sides as it spins.

Last edited by jmontee; 02-07-2018 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I oriented the pump as per the instruction manual....the pump is placed with the hole where to outgoing tube connects to is flushed against the partition as per the attachment.

Surely, you must hear a humming sound at least??? Not sure if it can be completely silent.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
That is really interesting. I have the Fluval Spec V and I can't hear the pump even with my ear next to the tank. Maybe just make sure that it is oriented the right way. It is a nice tight fit so not sure that would make a difference but maybe. Also, now that you have it out, make sure that the impeller is perfectly aligned and not slightly touching one of the sides as it spins.
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have two spec Vs. I have my pumps turned so the electrical cord is in the right rear corner of the compartment. Both of mine are silent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok thanks, so based on my previous post attachment the way I have my pump oriented, you'rs is turned anti-clockwise half a turn?

So not even a humming sound can be heard? (Silent as in hearing nothing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
I have two spec Vs. I have my pumps turned so the electrical cord is in the right rear corner of the compartment. Both of mine are silent
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua07 View Post
Ok thanks, so based on my previous post attachment the way I have my pump oriented, you'rs is turned anti-clockwise half a turn?

So not even a humming sound can be heard? (Silent as in hearing nothing)
Yes and the only time i hear any noise from the spec vs is when the water level gets low. That noise is from the water and not the pump

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Algae Grower

when i first got one of my specs the pump was really really noisy. took apart and lubed the impeller with a tiny bit of glycerin. worked like a charm, completely silent.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks all, so based on all the feedback, I should not be hearing even a silent "hum". I guess I"ll open a ticket with Fluval to see if I can get a replacement as I tried everything so far (minus the lubing of the impeller)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think it's best to orientate the pump so the inlet of the water faces the foam filter pad. (rotate 90 clockwise from the image you attached) Mine does make a mild hum, it becomes really apparent if the heater starts to rest on top or the cords hit/vibrate.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Aqua07, I have mine oriented where the cord is in the right rear corner of the compartment too. And yes, there is a slight hum but I only hear it with my ear basically touching the tank (which I only did for information on this thread! ).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, so I removed the pump and just put it in a bucket to rule out any rattling caused by the cord or pump itself pressed against the glass.

I made sure that the room was completely silent. There is a distinct hum to the pump, which I believe is normal, but not sure yet as I'm getting another pump to confirm. I don't think it's possible to have a pump of such without any type of noise.

For those that reported that the pump is silent, surely there must be the sound of the humming yes? I'm not referring to any rattling/vibration sounds caused by the impeller or vibration noise caused by the cord touching the lid or glass, etc.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua07 View Post
Ok, so I removed the pump and just put it in a bucket to rule out any rattling caused by the cord or pump itself pressed against the glass.

I made sure that the room was completely silent. There is a distinct hum to the pump, which I believe is normal, but not sure yet as I'm getting another pump to confirm. I don't think it's possible to have a pump of such without any type of noise.

For those that reported that the pump is silent, surely there must be the sound of the humming yes? I'm not referring to any rattling/vibration sounds caused by the impeller or vibration noise caused by the cord touching the lid or glass, etc.
Yes, the pump does produce a very quiet him when running. I did the same thing the other day when I changed my water. (Plugging it in in the bathroom for a minute - finally heard the hun)

I can't hear it over the compressor of the refrigerator. My tank is in the dining/kitchen area so other background noises render my tank silent.

My tank journal.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Algae Grower

I tried to silent it in many ways but all failed. The fact that there's a hollow gap between the bottom of the tank and what ever the tank base stands on actually amplifying the vibration sound of the pump.

I switched the pump to external canister. It get quieter now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode