New tank idea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank idea

Hello! I'm planning a new nano tank, a 4.6 gallon. I want it to be packed fulll of anubias nana petite! Now I have 2 things I want an opinion on. What do you think I should use for a light fixture? And what should I do for the substrate? Maybe just some sand? Or should I try and plant some sort of carpeting plant? My only issue I'm thinking is if I'm going to do a carpeting plant, it needs to be low light to accommodate the anubias, which there's not many options I could think of. Or maybe I should just cover the floor in anubias? If I do I'd need some sort of screen or something to attach them to and hold them down. I have some ADA powersand and some Amazonia left over from my last tank.. any ideas or input would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like an interesting idea with the anubias petites. Seems like alot of little bushes to cover the substrate, though. I would just use the ada sand/amazonia you already have. If you want a carpeting plant, you'll need a light that can provide around 50 PAR at the substrate and supplemental CO2 for the best growth. Some species like a bit more light, like HC and monte carlo to stay shorter and spread horizontally. I wouldn't worry about the anubias petites, they can handle higher lighting just fine. They may lose that darker green coloration and get a bit larger in bright conditions. I have a couple of these plants in my tank. One of them receives anywhere from 75-100 PAR, the other one is shaded under a 'tree'. They are both growing very well, just not at the same pace. I just used CA glue (superglue) to attach mine to smaller dragon stones. It looks good and can be easily moved around and it also has the added benefit of raising them up above my dwarf hairgrass, so they don't get lost in there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode