Some advice is definitely needed. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
wpx

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some advice is definitely needed.

Hi all,

I am currently having a few issues with my office tank and could definitely use some help. A little back story, I've kept reef tanks for almost 20 years but have never done much in the way of fresh water. I decided I would try my hands at a planted tank for my office, but i have had nothing but problems ever since. The tank was set up December 1st ish of 2017. It is a nuvo 8, substrate is ADA Amazonia capped with some generic black sand from petco. For filtration, I am running a bag of Purigen as well as just some polishing floss in the main compartment. The tank is currently stocked with 3 Neons and one Otto (the plan was to add 3 more of each, but the algae is making me wonder if i should or if i should go fishless for a while)... For lighting I am using a 20w 6500K LED flood light as well as a modified Skyye LED (replaced a blue with a red LED). I am also running pressurized CO2 on a separate timer.

Tank Params are as follows:

Temp: 76-78 depending on the day
Ph.: 6.3 steady, although I haven't checked it at night when the lights are off
Phosphates never go higher than around 3ppm and thats usually coming off of a weekend where I can't do the daily water change

The photo period is from 9 am- 6pm and the CO2 is from 8:30- 5:45

My CO2 indicator remains a light green which i presume its too high, but its constant throughout the day. The tank is planted with HC, which is growing quickly, but it stays covered in a stringy brown algae, some Nana Petite, and some Bronze Crypt in the back as well as a Wall of Java moss still waiting to grow in.

Sorry for the long-winded message, but I'm out of Ideas. I do daily 1-2 gallon water changes (no RO/DI although I do have access to it if thats what you suggest) I keep the lighting period short and I feed very minimally. Any ideas?

Bump:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

What fertilizers are you using and what is your dosing schedule?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
wpx

I haven't started dosing anything yet other than the root tabs that were put in during the initial planting. Wouldn't adding more nutrients further along the problem?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpx View Post
I haven't started dosing anything yet other than the root tabs that were put in during the initial planting. Wouldn't adding more nutrients further along the problem?
No, you need to feed your plants so they grow better and out compete the algae in the tank.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode