5 gallon nano 1st tank *help* - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By NueoK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 gallon nano 1st tank *help*

To give you a quick background I have kept saltwater reef tanks for the past 15 years, but I have never kept a freshwater tank in my life.

I had a 5 gallon rimless and a HOB filter sitting around so I figured I would give this a go. I need some help as to what lighting to get and if my filter will be enough? I would like to keep cherry shrimp, and plants to make them happy. Here is a little info:
Tank: 5 gallon rimless
Filter: Marineland Penguin 75 (75 GPH flow)
Lights: 6 led, 3 white 3 blue (is this too much? Any suggestions on what I should be using?)
Substrate: Cari sea flora max

Set up last night, tank is a little cloudy still but almost there. Going to buy rocks or driftwood today. Havenít decided which way I would like to go yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi there! I came from the reef hobby as well.

Im no expert, but the light wont work. Plants do not use all that blue spectrum like in reefs. The finnex lights seems to be popular around these forums. Depending on the plants you intend to keep, will dictate how much light you would need. But you definitely do not want an over powering light, or else you will run into some algae issues.

To me the filter seems fine, long as you keep the bio load to a minimum. You might want to pick up a little sponge cover for the intake of the filter so the shrimps dont get sucked in. Also the extra sponge will add additional filtration.
chef-pinky88 and chef-pinky88 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode