Nano Newb wanting help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano Newb wanting help

So I have some experience in keeping aquariums. I currently have a 65 gallon reef setup. As a kid I had cheap freshwater setups. Recently I won a JBJ 8 gallon aquarium in a raffle at one of our local reef club meetings. It's been sitting in the basement for the last 8 months. I have no desire to setup a nano saltwater aquarium, and had no luck selling it to anyone. So I thought I would try my hand at a freshwater planted tank, because I've never had one and they look great.
Here is a link to the tank its the RL8 model. JBJ Lighting Aquarium Products
The tank come with a 10 watt light, and a return pump. I will have to buy a heater, substrate/driftwood, and plants.

I would like to do something similar to the attached bonzai tank.
I would attach java moss to the bonzai. I would like for that side of the tank to have a carpet of dwarf baby tears. With some larger rocks for added depth.

There would be a divide in the middle with a pebbled river bed.

The side opposite of the bonzai I would like to carpet with a taller grass. I was thinking staurogyne repens. To add some depth on this side I would like to add some plants with height. Perhaps water sprite, or ludwiga repens (I like the touch of color this would add).

So I guess my request is for you guys and gals with more experience in this area to tear down my build. Will this lighting and setup be able to grow a thriving nano planted tank? Do the plants I have picked out make sense, or our there better/hardier plants that I have looked over that could still provide the aesthetic I'm looking for.

I would prefer to not have to buy new lighting, as it can be very expensive(my reef lights cost a small fortune).
Is there any other equipment that I would need that isn't listed? CO2?
Attached Images

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode