ADA 45cm half height planted mixed shrimp tank blog :) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Mike00726

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post ADA 45cm half height planted mixed shrimp tank blog :)

Welcome

As a mediumly experienced shrimp tank keeper, this super tiny tank is a bit of a change for me. At 4.6 Gallons without considering the mass taken up by the substrate, rocks, and wood, and plants this guy requires so much attention it's stressing me out a bit.

So, I wanted to post updates on plant growth and shrimp family additions here for you guys on the well respected planted tank nano forum to help quell that stress and chat about how this sensitive tank's progress.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

And no, the window casts no direct sunlight on the tank.

My General Concerns
  • Is my temperature ok?
  • What is a good number of shrimp for this size tank?
  • The Crystal shrimp are so shy. they've lived in this tank for two weeks, could there be something wrong with my water?
  • Do you think the vibrations of me setting stuff down on the table freaks them out and is contributing to the hiding?
  • Too much light. or too strong of one? ( i usually leave my light on 6 hours a day)
  • Long green moss, common to new tanks I know, the buildup is freaking me out...shrimp are taking care of most of it but...any advice?
  • Keeping mixed breeds of shrimp: I've done the reading but what's your take on it?
  • First-time cannister filter user here. What to watch out for, how often should I clean for this set-up?

Tank Info
Currently housing:
2 baby Cherry shrimp
2 adult Crystal mixed brown/transparent/blue(?)shrimp
Thinking about getting some Orange Rills soon

Fluval Planted tank stratum
ADA 45 CM light
External filter with carbon and nodes
Mini ADA Lilly tubes (spin pipe)
Mini heater, I usually keep the temperature at 24C or 75F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	821930  

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	821938  

Name:	IMG_0544.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	821946  

Last edited by avecclaire; 01-24-2018 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Adding information :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

cool tank, i have one waiting to be set up but havent had time to haha

My youtube channel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 PM
Algae Grower

got any closeups of the algae youíre experiencing? From your last photo it looks like hair algae, probably genus Oedogonium. Itís a chlorophyte, and undergoes photosynthesis to produce its energy. When you think about algae, donít think about how to get rid of it, think of how it got there in the first place.

So, with any algae bloom there is a limiting element (like Nitrogen) which is in excess in the water column. This algal group is photosynthetic (primarily, at least this genus is), so the combination of light and one or more limiting elements in excess is the cause. A 6 hour photoperiod seems reasonable, but since youíre in a bloom Iíd recommend reducing it to 3-4 hours for a week. The plants will not die, but the algae will be greatly affected. I also recommend getting your water tested for phosphates, nitrates, and other nutrients that act as limiting elements.

Another trick you can try, besides reducing dosing and light time, is getting some sort of floating plant like duckweed. They are vigorous plants, and will quickly consume any excess nutrients in the water. They will act as increased competition against the algae.

Are you using tap water or RO/DI?

Your temperature is alright, anywhere between 75-78 F is a healthy value!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank. perhaps you can add some floating plants to suppress algae?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeseo1991 View Post
Nice looking tank. perhaps you can add some floating plants to suppress algae?
Agree. Looks pretty awesome so far, though.
avecclaire and avecclaire like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?

: Because he's thirsty, dummy!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Turned out to be staghorn algae which was only solved by taking out the affected plants and putting them in a separate tank in the closet with no light and excel doses for a week. One problem solved!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Little tank update:

My shrimp, on the whole, have been doing well but I've lost a few over the past month. Currently, I have two Blue Velvets, one yellow, two Cherries, and one Crystal Red.

But recently I've been working on purchasing a little school of Lampeye Killis. Unfortunately, I was only able to get one until they restock so the poor guy is all alone in there for the time being. I've been feeding him Fluval's Big bites but I think the bits have been too big because he keeps spitting them back out. He is only interested in food falling from the surface so anything that gets crushed up is more challenging to direct towards him. He shows no interest in looking for fallen food. Concerning.

I am still a little mystified about keeping this tank... I just test my water for PH and the PH seems to be stuck around 6 which is worrisome. I don't feed them excessively, just once per week and I only leave the one shrimp tablet in for around 45 minutes. I feel like the solution would be to clean up any excess poop or dead plant matter from the substrate but as the tank is pretty small and the substrate is covered by plants, for the most part, I am unsure if this is the solution or even possible without ripping them out?

Should I be focusing on cleaning more thoroughly and doing MORE than one 25% water change a week or adding something to raise my ph like coral bits?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the problems you are facing is due to having two different species of shrimp in the same tank. Water parameters will never suit both types. Crystals prefer soft water, whereas your cherries prefer harder waters. They might very well survive in softer waters but they won't thrive and reproduce as they should. You should invest in a GH/KH test to see where you are with that. The substrate you chose does best when used with remineralized RO/DI water and is intended to keep Caridina species shrimps. It lowers pH as well as KH, that's what it is supposed to do.

Use this guide to see preferred parameters for each type: https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/...ter-parameters

Tags
advice needed, nano tank, planted tank, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode