Best value 12" rimless glass cube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Best value 12" rimless glass cube?

Just like it says, what company manufactures the best 12" rimless glass cube for the price?

I looked at Mr. Aqua and UNS, and I believe ADA has one as well, but are there any other options out there that maybe aren't as well-known? I'm looking for clear silicone, no black, and I would prefer low-iron glass but it's not imperative.

I have MTS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
UNS tanks are awesome. +1 from me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have an AquaMaxx tank that is nice. It's low iron and very well made. They have a 12" cube for $70 and free shipping at Marine Depot. I have a Mr. Aqua 12" cube and I have no complaints. Mine isn't low iron but really I don't mind it at all. TruAqua has one that's $75 and low iron as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:28 AM
Algae Grower

heres an option
https://aqualabaquaria.com/collectio...s-aquarium-gal

My youtube channel

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Got to see UNS tanks side by side to ADA this week. I found the UNS to look nicer with the mitered edges. The glass quality is the same so the clearest of the clear. I would say unless you want custom go with UNS.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think the AquaMaxx tank I have is very nice. And it's $40+ cheaper than the UNS after considering shipping unless you have a place that ships free or you are able to pickup. But then you're probably paying more for the tank. Buceplants has the UNS 12" cube on sale right now for $75 (regular price is $105) which seems like a nice price but then they want $38 to ship which kills the deal IMO. Mitered corners are spiffy and all...but when I'm looking at my plants and shrimp and fish...I'm not looking at the corners of my tank. So I suppose it comes down to budget as much as anything. I think that all the tanks suggested will be perfectly fine and very close to the same quality when it comes to glass clearness and how they are put together.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I think the AquaMaxx tank I have is very nice. And it's $40+ cheaper than the UNS after considering shipping unless you have a place that ships free or you are able to pickup. But then you're probably paying more for the tank. Buceplants has the UNS 12" cube on sale right now for $75 (regular price is $105) which seems like a nice price but then they want $38 to ship which kills the deal IMO. Mitered corners are spiffy and all...but when I'm looking at my plants and shrimp and fish...I'm not looking at the corners of my tank. So I suppose it comes down to budget as much as anything. I think that all the tanks suggested will be perfectly fine and very close to the same quality when it comes to glass clearness and how they are put together.
I was actually about to ask what benefit the mitered corners had before I read your post but it sounds like it's only for aesthetic purposes, which might end up being a factor given my plans for the tank and the space it's occupying, but we will see.

Is DIY an option for something like this? I'm not all that concerned with the cost of a prefab but if I could save a good chunk of the budget for the scape or plants by doing it myself, I would be open to it.

I have MTS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Certainly an option but I only looked at online glass prices once and it was pretty stupid. If you can source locally or perhaps someplace else online...you can probably do it for not too bad a price. Maybe someone else can suggest a place that doesn't have ridiculous prices for cut glass. The one place I checked...don't remember what the site was...the cost to do a tank 24x18x18 with low iron front in 6mm glass was like $400. Stupid when you can buy the same size tank shipped for less than half that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode