Basic Aquascape Ideas for Shrimp Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Basic Aquascape Ideas for Shrimp Tank?

I am starting up a tank for red cherry shrimp and I'm a real beginner aquarist.

The extent of my planted tank experience is a fully cycled 16L containing a single male betta fish. It's filled with some java ferns, java moss, and anubias on driftwood. I fertilise with Flourish occasionally and have only gravel as substrate. I use no CO2, and I have only a basic Imaginarium LED light (red, blue, and white). I'll add a photo in a moment.

I'm looking to aquascape a similarly low tech shrimp tank. I have the same 16L tank for shrimp ready. I bought goldvine driftwood for it and moved some plants from my betta tank to this one. I really want to incorporate the java moss for the shrimp fry when they start breeding. I'll add a pic soon.

I've seen lots of very nicely scaped tanks, some smaller than what I have, and I don't know how to go about doing this. I've seen Iwagumi style, moss trees, and scapes that give the illusion of a landscape with sandy paths and grassy hills, all in nano tanks too!

I'd very much like to try and achieve a similar look if possible, though I don't mind if it just turns out nicely planted with my goldvine as a centrepiece.

I'm planning on using black small gravel/sandy substrate to bring out the colour of the red in the shrimp.

I have a question about what kinds of plants I could use if I only want gravel substrate and don't want to invest in root tabs (I have a HUGE bottle of Flourish that I'd rather use if I can). I know hornwort, anubias, java fern, java moss, and floaters (duckweed, frogbit, etc.) are water column feeders, but I am unsure as to whether I can scape nicely with these plants. I'd like a plant carpet if possible but this likely involves substrates. I was thinking about maybe doing a moss carpet, but I don't know how to do this even after reading up articles on the Internet, and am unsure how it'd look with the goldvine centrepiece.

Does anyone have any advice regarding how I should proceed? I haven't even figured out a proper design for the tank yet.

P.S. Would my tank be too small to add a Bristlenose Catfish in with the shrimp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:05 PM
Planted Member

This was my low tech, no fertz, no co2. Most plants are either low light or medium light. I wouldn't add a pleco because when they are ready to breed they will dig and ruin you scape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Before anyone can give you advice on how to achieve the look you want, you have to choose the look you want. You through out a couple of ideas (iwagumi,moss trees,landscaped paths) that are just about opposites of each other. First thing you need to do is pick a direction.

All aquatic plants that are only in the water column are water column feeders. All plants that root in the substrate will do ok without root tabs. If your water column isn't flowing through the substrate you have other issues that root tabs are not going to solve.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got some driftwood and put in some black sand. Hereís the tank so far. Trying to cycle it with established media from my betta tank.

I think Iíll go for a nature look. Hoping the java moss will grow enough so I can carpet it, though I donít know how I should lay everything out. Also unsure if I should tie moss to the wood somehow? Will it behave on the branches or just get everything wild and tangled?

I have some anubias and java fern in the betta tank still. Not sure Iíd those should be added too?

Any design device? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D010F1B7-472B-4086-99D7-232D99935892_1516617238154.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	821466  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode