2Likes
  • 2 Post By sammy1989
  • 2 Post By sammy1989

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ember tetra scape

Hello I have recently purchased a fluval edge 46l after winning a gift voucher. I understand the design flaws in this tank which are stupid and annoying, but it was the best thing to buy in my LFS and I own a fluval Roma 125 and other fluval equipment, so I went for it.

I set it all up and scaped it and has been running for 3 weeks in total. I decided to seed hob filter from estabilished media and bacteria from external fluval 306. So I squeezed out 2 of the first sponges directly into the tank and over the filter media/sponges that came with it, I also have replaced the carbon for a fine filter foam and pre filter sponge on the intake for extra bio bacteria growth. I have put a handful of estabilished seachem matrix in the hob along with the other media and have been putting in a sprinkle of fish food to keep the bacteria fed once it breaks down. I have been doing this for a week and a half and have been testing the water everyday and believe the hob filter is now cycled, ammonia and nitrite have gone down to 0 and nitrates are at 50 (I get alot from my tap water too).

I want to start stocking my tank after a water change this weekend, I was thinking having only nano fish, ember tetras. How many embers could I have in total after adding them couple at a time week by week?

I have searched the forums and can't find a definite answer as most people want to stock more than one species, I don't want to overstock, my assumption from my limited experience would be about 8?

Any insight would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180118_130141_1516401591917.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	820970  

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 AM
Algae Grower

New guy here but isn't the rule 1' of fish per gal or 1cm per L ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think eight would be a good number, but I would add them as a group. If you've seeded the filter with cycled media and been 'feeding' the tank and have seen your ammonia be replaced by nitrates then I think you should be fine. Just be sure not to add more food than you are currently adding to the tank to start with and build up slowly. How much waste you get is very much linked to how much food you feed. Also up your water changes a bit to begin with and keep an eye on your parameters.

My personal feeling that as a schooling fish they'll find it more stressful being in smaller numbers and you are more likely to introduce illness if you just add one or two at a time over a long period.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your reply.

I plan to do a 40/50% water change every 2/3 days for the first couple weeks while using prime + stability and then reduce it down to one 40/50% a week. I will be doing it at the same time as my fluval Roma 125 and won't be any hassle as I have a python kit. Really looking forward to stocking the tank tomorrow!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your tank looks lovely, and I hope you post a picture when you add the embers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'll deffo post up a photo when they are in! Can't wait! I'm thinking I need some sort of valisneria in the left hand corner, will see what my LFS has tomorrow!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank,
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf007 View Post
New guy here but isn't the rule 1' of fish per gal or 1cm per L ?
I think you probably mean 1"/gallon not 1' ! That's a rough guideline at best. A 3" angelfish is a lot different than 3" of neon tetra.

Bump:

Bump: Try here http://www.aqadvisor.com/ for a good guideline. You enter all the info about your tank and stocking and it gives you an informed opinion.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've used that a few times for my other tanks and it's decent. But i always like people's opinions as that website is a rough guideline and I'd rather call upon people's experience.

So I went to my LFS earlier and purchased 11 ember tetras (11 is my lucky number), acclimated them for 45mins and added some water in from the tank too. They have settled in really well and have already coloured up a lot. Ended getting a bit of valisneria for the left hand corner, I couldn't resist - I think that's Going to look awesome once it reaches the top of the aquarium.

I also purchased a female german blue ram (for my 125l with my male) as I've been searching for one for ages. She's pretty discoloured as there were quite a few other rams in the tank at the shop. She has some side fin damage but nothing else on her other parts so I'm hoping with my clean and stable water parameters it will heal. Can I use API melafix to help her along? If not what do you recommend for fin repair?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180121_142154_1516558164617.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	821362  

touch of sky and touch of sky like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I think you probably mean 1"/gallon not 1' ! That's a rough guideline at best. A 3" angelfish is a lot different than 3" of neon tetra.

Bump:

Bump: Try here AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor for a good guideline. You enter all the info about your tank and stocking and it gives you an informed opinion.
Yes that is what I meant, curse my huge fingers !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode