Jumping in! Thoughts and advice welcome. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jumping in! Thoughts and advice welcome.

Hi, all -

I've recently moved into the world's most boring office, so I'd like to add a little life to it. I have a few plants, but a desktop aquarium would really help reduce the stress and give me something to care for. I used to have a 125 gallon reef tank before I moved, so I'm familiar with a fair amount, but a planted nano freshwater tank is a new adventure! I have so many ideas and questions, if you'd be willing to humor a noob.

I've been reading around for a few weeks now, and I'm interested in refining my ideas. For simplicity's sake, I've been pondering a filterless, heavily-planted tank so I can basically just have one cord for the light going anywhere (and maybe/probably a heater), but while it seems feasible in theory, I'd rather have people with more experience pick this apart.

I've got a beautiful hunk of mopani wood for a centerpiece, and I'm considering plants like java fern, moss, anubias, maybe buce, s. repens and/or Monte Carlo and/or pygmy chain sword for carpeting. I'd like to add shrimp, maybe snails, and some dwarf rasbora for fauna. Depending on the height of the tank, maybe some taller plants as well, but here's where things get fuzzy!

If I can go filterless, I'd love to pick up a UNS or Mr. Aqua rimless tank, for example, and just light it and go. If I can't, maybe something more all-in-one like the Flex or Spec V is better. Until I know what's really possible, I can't get myself settled on a tank.

I know for sure I'm staying away from CO2, and since I'm in an office, I'm targeting a system that requires as little dosing and water changes as possible, but if what I'm trying to do is impossible, I'm happy to abandon those thoughts and adapt. Can anybody share any experience or resources that might help refine my possibilities?

(If I've missed a FAQ or am breaking forum etiquette in any way, please correct me!)

Thanks, all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode