Fluval Flex 15: How many gallons for stocking? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Flex 15: How many gallons for stocking?

Hi, all! I have a nicely planted Fluval Flex 15 that I'm just loving. I'd like to add some more fish to it using AQAdvisor, but because the Flex has about 3 gallons of its water as sump space, I'm not sure how many gallons to count it as. Does sump space count? Does it count only partially? Not at all? While it obviously doesn't create more space for the fish, it surely helps with bioload?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	818234  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like you have the answer to your own question: The sump space contributes to bio load dilution, but offers no additional physical space for fish. I would think most nano fish should be okay, my favorite being Chili Rasbora.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

I am wanting a small community tank and was curious how many gallons I should count it in AQadvisor (which doesn't offer the Flex as a pre-set option yet).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

For small tanks I would go with physical space, it's easy to put a huge amount of filtration to deal with waste buildup on a small tanks and perform large water changes, so quality of the water is fine, but physical space is not so fine.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Planted Member

Measure the interior dimensions(excluding rear filtration compartment) and go by that. As stated previously space is important especially when selecting any territorial fish. Out of curiosity what is your stocking currently at. I really want a flex myself but I feel the lighting would be meh and I'd have to customize lid and light which has delayed my purchase.

Short, Sharp, Shock... Dig It
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

I have the smaller version of the flex and the square shape of it also has really limited what I'd stock it with. Anything that needs a fair length of swimming space, danios for example, would likely be unhappy not being able to "stretch their legs". I don't know off hand how much wider the 15G is but it's something to think about.

Tags
flex, fluval, gallons, stocking, sump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode