Fluval Spec V 5g Low Tech Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Ricky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Fluval Spec V 5g Low Tech Journal

Hey everyone! Just recently got back into the hobby and starting out small! Saw a Fluval Spec V for cheap purchased on impulse . Looking to achieve a low maintenance and simple but elegant looking tank.

Equipment List

Tank - Fluval Spec V
Light - Finnex Ray
Substrate - ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil Normal Type
Plants - Monte Carlo & S. Repens

Plans

1. Decided to do the dry start method so the Monte carlo can carpet and root nicely before i fill it with water. Do you guys think the spacing is good enough? Anyone with experience in the dry-start method for monte carlo please feel free to chime in with your experiences, i'd love to read them. Will post weekly updates of hopefully growth and not melting of the carpet .

2. Looking to add some wood into the empty area of the tank. I'm thinking spider wood would be a nice addition, maybe add some moss. Alternatively, if i find some nice stones, i might add that into it.

3. Looking to add some taller background plants that won't be too difficult to grow. If anyone has any recommendations of good background plants let me know!

4. Trying not to add pressurized CO2 to the mix after i fill up so hopefully everything will work out.

5. Will most likely be adding in some Crystal Red Shrimps once everything has grown in and the tank has been cycled properly.

Well this is all i got now :P! Will update in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks good my man, just keep that top sealed and wait!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Algae Grower

I'm planning on picking up a fluval spec 5 gallon this week and am planing on using the ADA aquasoil, about how much did you use for this?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 2 update

Slowly but surely, everything is growing! Monte carlo is doing well and sending out runners. Can't wait for it to become fully carpeted. S.Repens is slowly growing as old leaves die out and new ones sprout. However i'd like to see more runners to the side.

Also, picked up this driftwood that i plan on putting to the top left corner of the tank. Thinking about attaching some moss on the branches. Any suggestions on which branch i attach some moss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungtoolie View Post
I'm planning on picking up a fluval spec 5 gallon this week and am planing on using the ADA aquasoil, about how much did you use for this?
Found a local seller advertising it. It's actually used. I'm not sure what type of finnex light he gave me to be honest. The tank and the lights together were $100. ADA aquasoil was $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Rasbora View Post
looks good my man, just keep that top sealed and wait!
Thank you! Yeah i've been keeping it completely sealed and opening it up when i mist it!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Take a picture of the light! The part that has identification numbers, we'llidentify it for you.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode