Betta move him out??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Betta move him out???

My son has a heavily planted dutch/jungle Fluval Spec V with one betta. It's been 5 months and we been through green hair algae, diatoms and green spot algae. To battle all the algae issues we had to covert our low tech to high tech by adding more stem plants, r/o water, co2, surface skimmer, dry fertilizers and better lighting. Now the tank is running very smooth!!!! Guess what?? Now he wants more fish in his tank!!! My plan is to move the betta to a new cube tank and add new fish to his tank. My question is how many fish can do well in a heavily planted tank (90% of the tank is filled with plants)?

I know he doesn't want any invertebrates so shrimps are out the question. From all the reading and video on youtube, most fish don't do well in 5-gallon tanks. I'm wondering since my tank is well established, does the theory replies to my son's tank? Also what fish will do well in a five gallon heavily planted tank? I know he wants a school of fish I tend to like harlequin rasboras, cardinal tetras, and some small corydoras. Some of the local fish stores said its ok to add some once you move the betta, but I just want to make sure. We had three ottos when we had some algae problems and they didn't make it. I'm not sure its the stress when the betta would nip at its fins when it would swim by them or that the tank was too small. Again fish store said ok but youtube said no. I notice that plenty of professional nano tank have some school of fish I was wondering was it there for the photo or that the pros know how to take care of nano tanks. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Boraras brigittae
Boraras maculatus
Males only Poecilia wingei

I keep 7 Boraras brigittae in a standard 5.5 gallon heavily planted, I feel they do fine, plenty of room for them.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Quagulator!!! Boraras brigittae aka Chili rasbora sound like a good idea. I don't see too many in my local shops. Does anyone know who has chili rasbora in Los Angeles?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica had them when I was there a month ago. You can call and ask.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACLEANMYTANK View Post
Thanks Quagulator!!! Boraras brigittae aka Chili rasbora sound like a good idea. I don't see too many in my local shops. Does anyone know who has chili rasbora in Los Angeles?
I keep 7 Chili rasboras in my Spec V (along with a betta and a nerite snail) heavily planted so the Betta doesn't get to chase them at all.

Anyway, living by Portland I got mine at The Wet Spot, you could order them and have them shipped to you if you cannot find any locally. A lot of planted tank members get fish from them online.

My tank journal.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All my Panda Corys died

After I moved my betta from my Fluval Spec, I bought four Panda Corys to my established planted tank and in the first week, two of the corys died. Then on the second week, the third and the fourth one died. When the first two died, I asked the owner of the shop what happen and he asked about my PH and KH and I told him that my PH is 6.2-6.6 and my KH is 2-3. Then he replied back your water is too soft so the fish died from PH shock. I told him that I used 90 percent R.O. and 10 percent tap. He suggests increasing the tap because most pets stores use more tap than R.O. water. He suggested increasing the mixture to 50-50 and try to increase the PH to 7 and KH to 6. Do need to increase the tap mixture to raise the PH and KH? Or do need to adjust the CO2 lower than one bubble per half a second? Also, when I acclimated the fish with the drip method for about an hour and once the fish were in the water, they were hiding and breathing rapidly, is this a sign of PH shock? He also said that cory doesn't do well in the soft water he suggested getting tetras or rasboras. Since my tank is now empty, what should I do help set up the next fish? I really don't want to mess up again please help me out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bumping. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Old-Timer Guppy Lover
Low-Tech Nano Aquarium
Anubias nana Petite
Bucephalandra Mini - Several Types
Fissidens Fontanus
Trident Java Fern
Red Root Floaters
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Does your CO2 run 24/7? In a tank that small, I'd be worried about gassing the pandas; the concentration of CO2 overnight could be toxic - the pH changes dramatically plus the plants are consuming oxygen at that time, rather than creating it. Double whammy.

If you are unable to put your CO2 on a timer, you could put an airpump w/ airstone on a timer to come on when lights go out. This will drive off significant CO2 (yeah, "wastes" it, but....) and make a more breathable water column overnight for any fish. I'd probably have the airstone input overlap the lights - come on a little BEFORE lights go off, and then stay on until AFTER the lights have been on for a while, and the plants are actively photosynthesizing. This would protect against a dramatic fluctuation at dawn.

Oh, and a final thought along this line. Did you ever see the Betta at the surface in the mornings? Since they are labyrinth fish, he could have been taking air at the surface (rather than trying to get oxygen from water w/ his gills) and this might have offset your awareness of a problem of this type.

Hope this helps.
Jane

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode