What kind of Nano to go with? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of Nano to go with?

I'm looking for a small nano, to go into a small apartment when I go off to college next fall. It has to be small, small enough to fit on a bookshelf or small stand. I plan to go all out high tech, w/co2, so it can't be too tall. A cube or something similar would probably be best. Max 5-6 gallons.

Just looking to get some recommendations/possible alternatives to ADA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Deep blue professional has a nice 12" rimless cube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would recommend UNS rimless cube tanks. They have a 2.1G, 4.1G, and a 7.1G cube sizes. I would recommend the 7.1 just because itís only 5cm larger than the 4.1 gallon but you get almost doubles the water capacity which will actually make it easier to maintain water quality (especially in a high tech setting) they are also quite affordable. Hope this persuades you.

-skye

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:06 PM
TCD
Algae Grower

I have the deep blue 12" cube and its a great tank. But you do need to consider if a no-lid aquarium is what you want. Some of the nano fish I had my eye on are jumpers so those are all out. Evaporation is pretty high so I have to top up the water every few days, and worry about long vacations. And (finally) I added a bubble stone to improve circulation and now get some fine spray coming out of the tank and onto the stand. I think that would be a definite issue if it was on a bookshelf.

There's no doubt rimless tanks look great but worth thinking about the downsides as well.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

I would highly refrain from using a bookshelf for a set up unless said contents of the rest of the shelf are water resistant...
From personal experience, it only takes one small mistake to mess up a lot of books.

Also remember even at 5 gallons, the weight is at 41 lbs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm perfectly happy with my Mr. Aqua 12" cube. Or of you have a little more room...my Mr. Aqua 11g tank is nice too. It's a nice size at 19" wide and 12" tall, 12" deep. Just offers a little more room for aquascaping and fish.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
I would recommend UNS rimless cube tanks. They have a 2.1G, 4.1G, and a 7.1G cube sizes. I would recommend the 7.1 just because itís only 5cm larger than the 4.1 gallon but you get almost doubles the water capacity which will actually make it easier to maintain water quality (especially in a high tech setting) they are also quite affordable. Hope this persuades you.
Those look sweet, thanks for the plug. I was doing a little more research and it looks like most small rimless nanos (<7 gallons) are all relatively around the same price. So price is not really an issue here. Just depends on me getting the best quality. Any difference in glass quality between ADA and UNS and Mr. Aqua?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I have the deep blue 12" cube and its a great tank. But you do need to consider if a no-lid aquarium is what you want. Some of the nano fish I had my eye on are jumpers so those are all out. Evaporation is pretty high so I have to top up the water every few days, and worry about long vacations. And (finally) I added a bubble stone to improve circulation and now get some fine spray coming out of the tank and onto the stand. I think that would be a definite issue if it was on a bookshelf.

There's no doubt rimless tanks look great but worth thinking about the downsides as well.
Yeah for sure you bring up some good points. I love the clean look of rimless nano's, and have had other similar nano's in the past (Spec v/all in one) setups but they were too bulky for small spaces. And yeah, the whole lid situation is important too, I plan on just going plant/shrimp only anyway so it's not a huge deal, but evaporation and co2 gassing off could be an issue. I could always just cut a piece of glass/plexi to size and place it over, but then that contradicts the whole rimless/minimalistic design.

You got me thinking whether I truly want the whole rimless gig. Do you know of any tanks that combine the simplicity of rimless, with the ease of use with all in one setups?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions View Post
I would highly refrain from using a bookshelf for a set up unless said contents of the rest of the shelf are water resistant...
From personal experience, it only takes one small mistake to mess up a lot of books.
Haha very true, there's nothing like ruining a pair of books that are worth more than their weight in gold. I'm actually thinking about building my own bookshelf, I was planning on doing this anyway as my apartment isn't furnished, so might as well. I'd be able to build it right, make sure it super strong and waterproof it.

You also bring up a good point about weight. Just a random thought of mine, but, I was planning on going plant-only anyway; so why include the water if it isn't needed. With all the potential issues water brings, a terrarium would be pretty cool.

Any of you guys have experience with what's required in terrariums/emersed builds? Is it just lighting and substrate? I mean what's to it?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
Those look sweet, thanks for the plug. I was doing a little more research and it looks like most small rimless nanos (<7 gallons) are all relatively around the same price. So price is not really an issue here. Just depends on me getting the best quality. Any difference in glass quality between ADA and UNS and Mr. Aqua?

Yeah for sure you bring up some good points. I love the clean look of rimless nano's, and have had other similar nano's in the past (Spec v/all in one) setups but they were too bulky for small spaces. And yeah, the whole lid situation is important too, I plan on just going plant/shrimp only anyway so it's not a huge deal, but evaporation and co2 gassing off could be an issue. I could always just cut a piece of glass/plexi to size and place it over, but then that contradicts the whole rimless/minimalistic design.

You got me thinking whether I truly want the whole rimless gig. Do you know of any tanks that combine the simplicity of rimless, with the ease of use with all in one setups?

Haha very true, there's nothing like ruining a pair of books that are worth more than their weight in gold. I'm actually thinking about building my own bookshelf, I was planning on doing this anyway as my apartment isn't furnished, so might as well. I'd be able to build it right, make sure it super strong and waterproof it.

You also bring up a good point about weight. Just a random thought of mine, but, I was planning on going plant-only anyway; so why include the water if it isn't needed. With all the potential issues water brings, a terrarium would be pretty cool.

Any of you guys have experience with what's required in terrariums/emersed builds? Is it just lighting and substrate? I mean what's to it?

To be honest, ADA and UNS are the same. Maybe someone disagrees but they have the same specs other than the UNS has 45 degree miltered corners wish I prefer. I have heard that Mr. Aqua is good but they are not on the same level as the other two. Were they lack is the silicon work, but again we are dealing with a couple percents of difference. Price/size is the real difference between them.

Here is a post that I thought was rather cool, Tim did a long DSM and it ended up looking beautiful I believe it is like page 6 I am likely wrong. I thought that his before shots were almost more beautiful than his after shots.

Return of the Shallow - Buces Flowering
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...F&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

I like my ada 45p but If I would buy another nano I would go for more depth. Currently have 27 cm depth but something in the 35cm range gives more possibilities. The finish is really great of ADA tanks. IMO better is not possible.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Algae Grower

Between UNS and ADA, almost identical.... except the ADA tank is slightly clearer glass. Its almost impossible to tell if you only saw one at a time. But I seen UNS 3N and ADA 30W side by side, and must say ADA has slightly less green tint. But I love the UNS 3N size better then the ADA.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Return of the Shallow - Buces Flowering
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...F&share_type=t
Thanks for the link, what a beautiful tank. His aquascaping skills are sublime. The DSM honestly looked better than the flooded version. Everything looks better and faster. No need for water changes, or dealing with things like algae. Something like this gives me a lot of inspiration to pursue a possible terrarium/DSM build. However, he did mention in one of his posts, that due to the condensation, the tank is often viewed as a "green haze". So then again it has it's trade offs.

If there's really no difference between UNS and ADA, then it'll just come down to sizing. I just need to figure out what size works for my apartment, as my room is only 7'x13'. I need to do some thinking/create mock ups to see what to do. Thanks for the help!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:11 AM
Algae Grower

Aqua Lab Aquaria tanks are really nice and affordable. Agreed with the UNS tanks as well, the mitered touch makes it nicer imo

My youtube channel

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
Thanks for the link, what a beautiful tank. His aquascaping skills are sublime. The DSM honestly looked better than the flooded version. Everything looks better and faster. No need for water changes, or dealing with things like algae. Something like this gives me a lot of inspiration to pursue a possible terrarium/DSM build. However, he did mention in one of his posts, that due to the condensation, the tank is often viewed as a "green haze". So then again it has it's trade offs.

If there's really no difference between UNS and ADA, then it'll just come down to sizing. I just need to figure out what size works for my apartment, as my room is only 7'x13'. I need to do some thinking/create mock ups to see what to do. Thanks for the help!

I thought the same thing! I loved the DSM on that thread. But I do believe that you could stop covering it and spray it once a day to limit any and all haze. It would take 3 secs a day and you would not need to do any other maintenance.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

I bought this 6.2 gallon at my local petco, built in filter makes for a sleek design and the light is decent. I use a lamp with a 8.5 watt led for my main light. Actually had it on my desk when I lived in the dorms. It's called an "imagitarium pro" $70
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180109_205722_1515551096810.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	817890  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode