1Likes
  • 2 Post By BigMek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
cheap led lights + low tech plants

Hi,

Thinking of adding led lights for my 10 gallons planted shrimp tank and a few plants to go with it.

Currently got a few moses in it and using stratum as a substrate. pH is around 6.5. Any suggestions for cheap led lights and plants for low tech planted tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Would this work for you?
https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Tim...beamswork&th=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like my chihiros rgb. If you only use green plants chihiros a series is fine to.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
I like my chihiros rgb. If you only use green plants chihiros a series is fine to.
Yeah, those are good too.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Planted Member

If you want to go the El Cheapo route, household LED bulbs - the ones that look like regular incandescents - have really come down in price and will put out a surprising amount of light in a desk lamp, clamp-on shop light or chicken brooder light. Walmart sells a clip-on desk lamp that looks reasonably attractive which I'm using to light my 10g tanks. I don't have a PAR meter to test with, but with a 60w-equivalent LED bulb in there it's quite bright and definitely grows plants.

For plants you actually have a lot of choices. Anubias, Java Fern and Amazon Sword are the usual go-to. You can also do a lot of Crypt species, Dwarf Aquarium Lily, and might be able to get away with something like Dwarf Sag if you want a grassy look. Floating plants of course will also do well, or stem plants that can be left floating like Pennywort.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
If you want to go the El Cheapo route, household LED bulbs - the ones that look like regular incandescents - have really come down in price and will put out a surprising amount of light in a desk lamp, clamp-on shop light or chicken brooder light. Walmart sells a clip-on desk lamp that looks reasonably attractive which I'm using to light my 10g tanks. I don't have a PAR meter to test with, but with a 60w-equivalent LED bulb in there it's quite bright and definitely grows plants.
do you mean this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LimeLight...-Blue/55273665
do you know if it can take 220v? I don't live in the states but I really like this option.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
thanks. My tank is 30cm wide so... this one is too big for me. I just realized its 7 gallons not 10 (i tried converting from liters lol)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
I have chihiros a series for my main tank. It is a good option but I was hoping for something cheaper
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltila View Post
do you mean this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LimeLight...-Blue/55273665
do you know if it can take 220v? I don't live in the states but I really like this option.
I have a slightly different one but yeah, that's the idea. Make sure you don't get one that has the LED already in it because they're underpowered and not removable.

The ones I have can't take 220v because they have the US 110v plug. You could probably change that but replacement plugs are absurdly expensive IMO. Most likely cheaper and easier to find a more local source.
eltila and eltila like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ebay sells full spectrum led aquarium fixtures made for 30cm tanks for about $15 USD. The smaller clip-on ones go for about $10. Just shop around and look for higher led bulb counts, as many vendors carry them from different manufacturers. You can find them on Amazon as well.

I have one for my 5 gallon nano low tech, and it works quite well. Crypts, stem plants, four leaf clover, and even DHG grow great since small tanks aren't that deep, so light penetration is not an issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode