• 2 Post By sfsamm
  • 2 Post By jmontee
  • 2 Post By jmontee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
New Spec V

Good morning. I have been out of the hobby for almost 6 years now pretty perfectly coinciding with the birth of our first child. I used to run a hi tech 55 gallon with CO2 system, EI ferts and all kinds of plants. I am just going to get back into this crazy world but I am going for a but easier set up. I just got a Spec V that I am planning to plant with crypt parva, crypt wendtii, several buces and maybe some nana petite.

I currently have the basics for my hardscape and want to do a fishless cycle before adding any fauna. My question is whether I should start with the plants or just let it cycle with only hardscape at first? Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I will be using Flourite Black as the substrate so I will definitely need to add root tabs for the crypts.

Thank you

Last edited by jmontee; 02-19-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Changing Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I stepped back into the hobby a couple years ago after a big move and hiatus I started back with nearly identical ideas lol. I had everything set up and water circulating planted and whatnot for a few days maybe a couple weeks then did a fishless cycle with Ammonia and Seachem Stability since I started getting itchy for something to watch.

I find it interesting how similar we both jumped back in lol. My setup was fluval spec v, flourite black sand, tabs, crypt lutea, micranthemum of some variety I forgot right away and have never found again, parva and nana petite. Welcome back!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jmontee and jmontee like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
When I stepped back into the hobby a couple years ago after a big move and hiatus I started back with nearly identical ideas lol. I had everything set up and water circulating planted and whatnot for a few days maybe a couple weeks then did a fishless cycle with Ammonia and Seachem Stability since I started getting itchy for something to watch.

I find it interesting how similar we both jumped back in lol. My setup was fluval spec v, flourite black sand, tabs, crypt lutea, micranthemum of some variety I forgot right away and have never found again, parva and nana petite. Welcome back!

That's awesome!! How did your experience go with the Spec V, is it still up and running? What did you think of the lighting and did you supplement with CO2? I am thinking about supplementing lightly with CO2 and light adding of liquid ferts... eventually!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:04 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontee View Post
That's awesome!! How did your experience go with the Spec V, is it still up and running? What did you think of the lighting and did you supplement with CO2? I am thinking about supplementing lightly with CO2 and light adding of liquid ferts... eventually!
Well it actually seems as if the lights come in two version I happened to get the whiter of the two (and a bit brighter and not weird cold blueish) and I am very pleased with the tank. My original sprung a leak after a few months and was replaced (got weird blue light, so kept my old light instead of the new one lol). I have never quite been happy with any scape I've put in it, I've scaped it I don't even know how many times, gutting and completely starting over several times even.... Not sure why but I can't nail this tank down, once things grow in well I start disliking it every time lol. I'm actually starting to get itchy about it again right now lol though it's got a ton of shrimps now so.... It'll be a pain to gut.

I don't run co2 in it but I dose a reduced EI (2x rather than 3x weekly) and supplement excel daily. Carpet plants struggled except Monte Carlo which did well (my hard water could have played a part too). I again currently have flourite black sand and fluval stratum lightly mixed and have tabs on my crypt. All that's in the tank is my crypt and Fissidens and a couple nana petite.

Here's a pic from the other day.... Pic wasn't a glamor shot so forgive the mess. And I'm growing out fissidens still for what my last idea was.

I think I struggle getting depth since the tank is so narrow. So my growth takes away from my look when it fills in.

touch of sky and touch of sky like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So here is an update. After cycling for over two weeks I planted the tank. Crypt wendtii brown, C lutea, C parva, H Monte Carlo, several buces, mini Christmas moss and fissidens fox.
touch of sky and touch of sky like this.

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 11:06 PM

Good day, funny I have read your posts and I've done the exact same thing. I had previously a larger tank that I planted and enjoyed, and after a Hiatus I came back. I thought I would try something small. As I'm sure you know the small tank is completely different than a large tank I had a heck of a time getting it up and running. I truly found I had to go hi tec to get it to produce and flourish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180129_183601_1517270736661.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	824314  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180129_183615_1517270756959.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	824322  

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update, New Plants and Added Fish

So here is an update on this little tank. I am very happy with how it is going so far and everything is growing in nicely. Other than BDA (diatoms), a little GHA, wood fungus/bacteria and some crypt melt and immersed to submersed growth issues things have been going well. The MC has really started to fill in nicely and I am hoping that it will surround that rock on the right and the Buce Brownie Blue is now expressing the blue, see attached pic. I recently added two new plants and rearranged a couple of others. Here is a list of plants currently in the scape:

UNS Crypt wendtii brown (Indonesian Variant)
Crypt Parva
Crypt Lutea
Crypt Lutea Hobbit
Buce Belindae
Buce Black Tears
Buce Brownie Blue
Buce Catherinae Red Mini
Buce Dark wave
Buce Lamandau Mini Purple
Buce Kedagang mini
Buce Ultra Green
Monte Carlo
Christmas moss Mini
Fissidens Fox

I have also added a couple of amanos and 10 Chili rasboras. I am waiting on an order of 8 Tiger shrimp to complete the flora in the tank. Currently running at 0,0,5 for NH4, NO2 and NO3 and PO4 at 0.25. I am dosing Easy Green about twice a week, Easy Iron at a couple of drops once or twice a week and Easy Carbon just to combat some GHA (the good thing is that it is pretty much only growing in the christmas moss).

I am using pressurized CO2 using 45g CO2 cartridges and the UNS single stage regulator with solenoid. It is working really well and was the only one with a solenoid that I could find that would work with the CO2 cartridges I got from EBAY. I figure that one cartridge should last me about 4 to six weeks and at $5 per cartridge it isn't that bad. It is also a super small set up that is completely hidden behind the tank itself.

Last edited by jmontee; 07-01-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

very nice scape on such a small tank! I am doing the same just on a pit bigger foot print...
everything about this tank I love from the flora to fauna.
keep us posted as it grows in.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well it actually seems as if the lights come in two version I happened to get the whiter of the two (and a bit brighter and not weird cold blueish) and I am very pleased with the tank. My original sprung a leak after a few months and was replaced (got weird blue light, so kept my old light instead of the new one lol). I have never quite been happy with any scape I've put in it, I've scaped it I don't even know how many times, gutting and completely starting over several times even.... Not sure why but I can't nail this tank down, once things grow in well I start disliking it every time lol. I'm actually starting to get itchy about it again right now lol though it's got a ton of shrimps now so.... It'll be a pain to gut.

I don't run co2 in it but I dose a reduced EI (2x rather than 3x weekly) and supplement excel daily. Carpet plants struggled except Monte Carlo which did well (my hard water could have played a part too). I again currently have flourite black sand and fluval stratum lightly mixed and have tabs on my crypt. All that's in the tank is my crypt and Fissidens and a couple nana petite.

Here's a pic from the other day.... Pic wasn't a glamor shot so forgive the mess. And I'm growing out fissidens still for what my last idea was.

I think I struggle getting depth since the tank is so narrow. So my growth takes away from my look when it fills in.

What's the big plant on the right?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Stand View Post
What's the big plant on the right?

It is Crypt Lutia.
I just moved it yesterday to a 20 tall and it's touching the surface there.... It totally outgrew that tank lol this is a back room tank for grow out and spare housing etc don't make fun of it lol

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
It is Crypt Lutia.
I just moved it yesterday to a 20 tall and it's touching the surface there.... It totally outgrew that tank lol this is a back room tank for grow out and spare housing etc don't make fun of it lol

How big is at the moment? My tank is 40cm tall. I'm looking for a big leaved crypt to put into the back corner.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Stand View Post
How big is at the moment? My tank is 40cm tall. I'm looking for a big leaved crypt to put into the back corner.

Probably 18 inches or 45 cm I believe might be a bit taller. Started out about 4" when I picked it up but exploded under a reduced EI dosing with seachem root tabs. Grew that much in probably 3-4 months

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow I thought that was Crypt wendtii of some sort. Hi long did it take to get to that form? I have had my crypt lutea submersed for about a month and the leaves are still coming out green with long petioles. I hope this one doesn't do that right in the middle of this scape!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode