Nano riparium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Nano riparium?

Hello!
i have been lurking around your threads gathering information for a new setup im planning but i still have some questions left unanswered so i was thinking you guys can help
long story short...i have made many mistakes while keeping fish, mostly overstocking and overfeeding out of ignorance but i wanna make things right this time.
Im planning to make a low tech riparium style tank
i have:
This 8 gal acrylic tank

two internal filters (the type that come with a flute like thing to attach) that are fully cycled running in a spare 'too small' tank

This plant im going to plant it emersed, but i have no freaking idea what kind of plant it is

A three gal temporary home with all the plants, some driftwood and the current occupants, a nameless betta and a lonely shrimp that is living on the filter area (i have no idea how it got there)

im planning to use soil as substrate and small gravel on top of it besides getting one or two more plants to grow emersed besides the mystery one. also i will buy more shrimp.

here is what i still have no idea how to deal with:
how do i hang the emersed plants? (gotta be diy, im on a budget) what do i use as substrate for the planters?
also, the driftwood has some weird stuff on top, idk if it is rotting too fast to be good
it is sorta fuzzy and white on top of the wood...i scrubbed it 2 days ago so im guessing it should be gone...is it bad? will shrimp eat that?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I use shower caddies to attach riparium plants, and use filter sponges as the planting media (hydroton is more popular though). Do try to know what plants you're planning on using- not all houseplants are suitable for ripariums. The plant you've got looks like it might be an arrowhead, which can get quite large. Might get out of scale with your tanks pretty quickly, but a cutting should adapt to having wet roots.

As far as the wood goes- that's 100% normal. Wood molds before it behaves properly and looks nice. Should be gone in 1-3 weeks. Shrimp and snails might pick at it.

Riparium plants I've found that work well on a nano-scale include:

Lobelia Cardinalis "small form"
Anubias Nana (if kept in high humidity)
Marselia Minuta
Hydrocotyle Tripartica "Japan"
Nerve plant (houseplant)
Micro Variegated Sweet Flag (this variety only gets 3-5", rare, but might be sold as an outdoor plant)
Variegated Sweet Flag 'Ogon' (get's ~10")
Microsword
Ludwigia Repens
Golden Creening Jenny (sometimes sold as an outdoor plant)
Mini peace lily (houseplant)

Hope this gives you a start! Be sure to wash your dirt thoroughly.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot, i was really scared about the driftwood not being useful anymore.

about the houseplant: it is a clipping from another my grandma has, its leaves remain smaller than a hand, thats why i wanted to try it.
i do wanted to get some anubias to cover the shower caddies and maybe some random weeds i can find in high humidiy places.

i do have crafting mesh, can i make the planters in it? i have some small river rock and some spare gravel mixed with a lil bit of fluorite (the brick looking one)

on another news, i set up the tank without the emersed plants

what do you think?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks good so far. You using root tabs for that sword? They like their root nutrients

You can totally make riparium planters from craft mesh, I've done it before. You can grow moss out the front of it to help cover it until the roots from the plants block it out. I would caution against using gravel though, as it gets very heavy and can be difficult to work with. Add the weight of the grown in plants, and it could bring your planter down. You can ask in the riparium section of the forum what other substrate people are using in their riparium planters.

One last thing about the plant since I have no idea what it is- if a plant has milky white sap, don't use it. It'll be toxic to your fish (and bad for you)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how do i know about the sap? where do i have to cut the plant?

i was also thinking about using plastic covered wire to hang the planters over the edge.

and about the root tabs...i wanted to order some osmocote root tabs but they arent shipped to my country...do you know any other good brands?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There is a riparium plants list and build compilation thread in my signature, take a look for more ideas and pictures of what they look like.

Instead of plastic covered wire (which will rust) get yourself something plastic you can heat and bend, I've seen k'nex toys used before with great success, same with coat hangers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

theatermusic87- thanks for the input, i will look into another alternatives to hanging the planters...right now im deciding the size for the ones im going to craft
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

this is the planter i built, 100% plastic

while trying to get the plant out of the plastic planter i caught 2 land snails...is it bad that i relase them in another planter i have?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can cut anywhere along the stem it looks like, In fact you could just take a cutting from it and start a new plant.

As for land snails, cool, we only have slugs where I live.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice DIY job on the planter! Quite a few aquarium plants grow well emersed, so look out for cuttings/shares for picking them up cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
As for land snails, cool, we only have slugs where I live.
That's weird that you get slugs but not snails, you'd think the built-in house would make them the more adaptable ones. I guess thinking logically, snails aren't everywhere - we just have so many running around outside they are pest you just sort of assume everyone gets them.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here we have all kinds of critters to watch out for in plants, both snails and slugs and a lot of other things like small worms that looked like detritus worms but in the pot soil

Kehy- yes! i did end up cutting great portion on the stems and ended up with 4 individual plants so i used the 3 smaller ones and i also made a planter half the size because the first one was too big.
as substrate for the planters i used some pebbles , i may switch to aquarium sponge in the future but it holds well and it provides some hiding spaces for the shrimp as the tank is not densely planted and im housing also a betta.
the plant did not have white sap so that why i went ahead with it. it is on the smaller side so the aquarium lamp cover it a bit so it looks kinda funny and empty but im planning to get more plants

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks great so far, especially since the plants have settled in now. That houseplant doesn't look as out of scale as I thought, hopefully it does well for you

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
That's weird that you get slugs but not snails, you'd think the built-in house would make them the more adaptable ones. I guess thinking logically, snails aren't everywhere - we just have so many running around outside they are pest you just sort of assume everyone gets them.
I haven't seen many in North America, at least not this part of it. Locally, I think the soil is too acidic to allow shells to form properly. It's an issue with archaeological finds too, since the soil destroys things so easily. We have a lot of fir and spruce forests that drop needles and acidify the soil
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
Looks great so far, especially since the plants have settled in now. That houseplant doesn't look as out of scale as I thought, hopefully it does well for you
Thanks! it is indeed small, that is why i have trouble finding the species since most arrowheads are huge in comparison. maybe if i find the species i will post it on the riparium plant thread

Tags
nano aquascaping, riparium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode