ammonia in new planted 5 gal nano tank ( & stocking questions) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ammonia in new planted 5 gal nano tank ( & stocking questions)

Hi everyone. Recently I set up a heavily planted Fluval Spec V 5 gallon nano tank, full of multiple java ferns, the beginning of a dwarf mini hairgrass carpet, anubias, and crypt wentii; all planted in fluval stratum (no fish or inverts in the tank as of right now). I dose the tank with the recommended amounts of API liquid co2 and fertilizer. I use a 25 watt cobalt heater. The first day i set up the tank, I sprinkled in a small amount of food flakes. It's been five days, and admittedly i'm anxious to get some inhabitants, so i tested the water with an API master water test kit. Ammonia is reading @ around 2.0-4.0 ppm; nothing I would ever introduce animals into. While I have done a large amount of preparation and tried my best to set up a beautiful and high-end healthy nano tank, I still consider myself to be more or less a beginner. How long should I expect to wait before my plants absorb harmful water chemistry? (am I wrong in believing the plants will absorb ammonia?) thanks!

on a separate note, I had a few questions about stocking.
I was interested in getting a handful of small shrimp for the aquarium (maybe 10?)... along with some pygmy rasbora? would those two work together well? if not, what else might be suitable? thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What is your substrate and what filtration are you running? 5 days isn't very much unless you did a quickstart with bacteria or a cycled media so just be patient. I think a bunch of people will get on your case for nano-fish because they should be kept in schools but if you keep track of your parameters and don't mind putting in the work to keep nitrates down you could keep them with some shrimp. With shrimp though you need to remember that if it can fit into a fish's mouth then it'll probably be eaten so adults will be fine but you won't have much breeding activity unless you have a ton of plant cover.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using the fluval stratum plant substrate, and the filtration is fluval's 3 stage built in filtration with their Spec all-in-one tanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 03:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmaultsby View Post
I am using the fluval stratum plant substrate, and the filtration is fluval's 3 stage built in filtration with their Spec all-in-one tanks.

I totally feel you on the excitement of getting some buddies in the water. From my experience, you’re livestock may make it....but you’ll personally feel miserable and research alternatives the whole time. And you’ll rush out to buy and try a whole bunch of stuff to accelerate the process.

It took me 3 weeks. I had some shrimp and guppies in a 10 gallon planted tank. Something that helped was the seachem stability. It was so stressful and I don’t know the long term effects. I plan to wait at least a month before introducing fish when I upgrade to a 55g next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't add any more food to the tank and just let it start cycling. Just keep measuring your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. It took me about 6 weeks for my tank to cycle but it wasn't a huge deal since I was fighting algae the whole damn time and it took a while for me to decide on how to stock it anyway.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those are all fairly slow growing plants. If you want plants that suck up ammonia you want fast growing stem plants. Also it sort of sounds like you are expecting the plants to suddenly be able to deal with the bioload of fish? As you've seen, they can't deal with a pinch of flake, so just waiting for the current ammonia spike to go away won't work - it will come back again as soon as you add more ammonia (fish food) back in. The only time relying on plants works is if you have a big tank, packed with lots of fast growing stem plants and only a couple of fish. A nano tank is never going to meet that criteria.

Have a read up on fishless cycling and even better see if you can find someone with an established tank that will let you steal some of their filter media.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:44 AM
Algae Grower

you can try a betta and shrimp as you wont be adding that much of a bioload
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptedDrama View Post
you can try a betta and shrimp as you wont be adding that much of a bioload
Don't do this yet. But once you are cycled yes this was my recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
Don't do this yet. But once you are cycled yes this was my recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

forgot to mention that XD my bad.
another recommendation would be to wait till is heavily planted and add the shrimp and then the betta

Tags
nano, plant, plant advice, spec v, stocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode