Ideas for what to do with 5 tanks under 5g - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By khole15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideas for what to do with 5 tanks under 5g

Somehow, I acquired 5 tanks under 5g. I have two glass 2.5g Aqueon tanks, 2 3g? Fish Bowls I found on Clearance and a plastic 3g I got for free. All have been leak tested but I'm not sure of slow growing, low light plants that could go in the tanks. The 2.5g used to have cyrpts in them but they quickly over took the tank.

So my questions are:
-What kind of low light plants could I plant for these tanks (I'm looking for variety)?
-What could I stock these tanks with (if anything) for livestock?
StevieD and StevieD like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could plant with all sorts of Anubias, Moss, and Buce. For fauna, I think it would be best to stick to shrimp for tanks that size.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would buy a long light fixture that I could hang over all the tanks/bowls. Maybe start farming moss or other slow growing plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think moss/buce farm tanks would be a great use for tanks that size. You could keep one type of each per tank to keep them separate.

Any experience with Neo shrimps? You could start one tank as a skittles tank, and when you see a few similar looking weird morphs, move those to a new tank. Over time, you may have a new unique line

So each tank could have: 1 moss type, 1 buce type, and eventually shrimp

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can Beta Fish go in the 3g or African Dwarf Frogs. Or any type of snail on its own? I know 5 is ideal, but could you do it in a planted tank? I've seen smaller tanks/bowls with them on the site. Shrimp are going in at least one, I just have to track down a store that sells something other than ghost shrimp by me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
That reads like it is going to be a fun project! So many options available to you!

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by khole15 View Post
Can Beta Fish go in the 3g or African Dwarf Frogs. Or any type of snail on its own? I know 5 is ideal, but could you do it in a planted tank? I've seen smaller tanks/bowls with them on the site. Shrimp are going in at least one, I just have to track down a store that sells something other than ghost shrimp by me.
Betta in a 3g is fine as long as you have some plants in there. Obviously the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of. Snails are fine too, maybe an apple or mystery snail since they can get large. You'll need to supplement feed it though since it'll be hard to grow enough algae in a 3g.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Supplemental Feedings are Fine. I just don't want all shrimp tanks or all bettas . I'd like to do maybe 2 shrimp, 1 betta, a snail, and an african dwarf frog if possible. But I wasn't sure if they were suited for it at that size or if I was missing any nano fish (for a school or 3 or 4). My knowledge base is still growing but I love the look of planted tanks and my first one was doing really well until the crypts grew out of the water and died. I had no idea you had to prune the tanks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Have a look at this beautiful site. Some inspiration of what can be done in just 1 gallon!

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Have a look at this beautiful site[/URL]. Some inspiration of what can be done in just 1 gallon!
Cool site, but for whatever reason, none of the browsers on my computer want to translate so I'm not sure how to navigate it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khole15 View Post
Cool site, but for whatever reason, none of the browsers on my computer want to translate so I'm not sure how to navigate it.
For me the navigation is in English when I click on the link.

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode